BX1850 sputters only when moving

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I've read through other postings on sputtering. Have replaced both in line fuel filters, and then checked to make sure there is good flow all the way through the second filter. Turned ignition switch on and get plenty of fuel flow right up to the engine.

Tractor runs perfectly at any RPM - sitting still. But - even the slightest tap of forward or reverse - and the sputtering begins - at any RPM. Fuel level seems to make no difference.

Removed air filter, blew it out. Same result. Removed air filter and tried running without it (just for a second or two)...it sputters with any movement.

The really odd part is that it will run fine in low going up a 30-35° incline with a full bucket of wet dirt - as long as the peddle is to the floor. Anything less - and it sputters.

And now, I am at wits end. I don't know what I am looking for - or even why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hotrod63

Aug 11, 2013
United States
Had something similar happen to me a couple of days ago. After doing everything you have done, I ended up checking the seat kill switch. I put a piece of card board in between the seat and switch and the problem disappeared. The seat switch was worn as to where it would not depress enough to work.

Hotrod

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Your suggestion has a ring to it. I have noticed that the sputtering can start when hitting a decent sized bump.

I'll rig up a shorting jumper to take the switch out of the circuit.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Hotrod - you're suggestion was right on.

I jumpered the seat switch - and that took care of it. I'll order a replacement switch - and at least I can continue working until it arrives.

Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion. It worked!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers sometimes tracing out all the safety's will drive you to drink,, unless you can find a friend to drive you first:D