BX1850 - 100 hr Service

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
I'm coming up on the 100 hr service for my BX1850, and was wondering if anyone else had some input on oils. As it's already broken in, I would like to run synthetic engine oil in it. Has anyone had issues running a full synthetic in their machines? I figure it only takes 3L, so I have no excuse not to treat it to the good stuff. I also plan to change the oil filter, even if it's supposedly only half-used according to Kubota. As an automotive tech, I have no idea why they would suggest that, considering a $5-10 filter is cheap insurance.

Also, out of curiosity, I know that I don't have to change the trans/hydraulic fluid until 300 hours, but when that arrives, is there a synthetic fluid available that is similar to or better than the Kubota stuff? For example, here in Alberta, is UFA THG Special ok, or would the Chevron Synthetic All Weather be better?

After having this thing a week and a half, I now don't know how we got away without it - moving water totes around the yard, clearing snow piles, clearing brush piles, etc. Bought it a year and a half old with 82 hrs, it now has 97 a week and a half later. What can I say, I'm hooked. Now I'm in the process of grading and leveling a spot to build a tractor shed . . .

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Thanks, Vic - I just watched your video on gear/hydraulic oils, thanks for clearing that up. I'm not waiting for 300 hrs to drain and fill the trans.

As for engine oil, I'm going to use synthetic. I get a good deal through the parts dept. at work and hopefully it'll help cold starts.

Thanks again to you guys for the different bits of info you provide!

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I use Rotella T6, 5w-40 after break-in. Should use Kubota's UDT2 in hyd. system. Most suggest removing the UDT from front axle and replacing it 80-90, G-4/G-5. I did.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Another vote for Rotella T6 5w-40 if it fits your climate. I am in NJ, and my engine starts noticeably better when it was in the teens and 20's from whatever the dealer had in it from delivery. I agree on not waiting till 300 hours if it makes you feel good, SUDT2.