BX1800 hydraulic pressure test

BFS121

Equipment
BX1800
Oct 12, 2021
Tennessee
Is there a way to check hydraulic pressure on a BX1800 that doesn't have a loader? Haven't found anything online about this, so I'm just curious if its possible. Thanks.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Is there a way to check hydraulic pressure on a BX1800 that doesn't have a loader? Haven't found anything online about this, so I'm just curious if its possible. Thanks.
I am sure there must be but do not know the answer.

Curious though, why the need to do this? Never felt the need over the past 18 years to check hydraulic pressure on my BX2200, which has no loader.

BFS121

Equipment
BX1800
Oct 12, 2021
Tennessee
I am sure there must be but do not know the answer.

Curious though, why the need to do this? Never felt the need over the past 18 years to check hydraulic pressure on my BX2200, which has no loader.
My tractor is equipped with the 60 inch mowing deck, while mowing or going up a grade/ hill the tractor looses power and the blades on the mower slow way down almost stopping if I don't lift off the pedal. And thes is when gras is being mowed weekly and as dry as possible. I do have a bad steering cylinder and awaiting delivery of a new one. I saw post about increasing hydraulic pressure and didn't know if it would help my machine or not. Hoping that replacing the steering cylinder will help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My tractor is equipped with the 60 inch mowing deck, while mowing or going up a grade/ hill the tractor looses power and the blades on the mower slow way down almost stopping if I don't lift off the pedal. And thes is when gras is being mowed weekly and as dry as possible. I do have a bad steering cylinder and awaiting delivery of a new one. I saw post about increasing hydraulic pressure and didn't know if it would help my machine or not. Hoping that replacing the steering cylinder will help.
Your lack of power issues and the tractors hydraulic system and power steering are not related in any way.

Start looking for fuel delivery issues. A weak or failed lift pump, a plugged fuel tank outlet........... these are the things that you need to check out.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My BX2200 has a 60 inch deck and a few more horsepower than yours, and I’ve noticed something similar happening occasionally this year. Like Dave mentioned I suspect a fuel delivery issue. My tractor has about 1400 hours on it.

I bought new fuel filters for it which I’m going to change for the first time.

I am basically planning on addressing the issue in the manner Dave advised.

BFS121

Equipment
BX1800
Oct 12, 2021
Tennessee
Your lack of power issues and the tractors hydraulic system and power steering are not related in any way.

Start looking for fuel delivery issues. A weak or failed lift pump, a plugged fuel tank outlet........... these are the things that you need to check out.

Dave
Thanks for the reply and info, I'm waiting for delivery of all filters ( air, oil, HST filter and screen and both fuel filters, fuel pump was replaced about 3 years ago. As for the lift pump is that a " lift pump" for fuel or for the actual hydraulic lift pump for the mowing deck and hitch.? I have a 4 foot rototiller that I use occasionally and the hitch and deck seem to lift fine. Again thank you for your imput.

BFS121

Equipment
BX1800
Oct 12, 2021
Tennessee
My BX2200 has a 60 inch deck and a few more horsepower than yours, and I’ve noticed something similar happening occasionally this year. Like Dave mentioned I suspect a fuel delivery issue. My tractor has about 1400 hours on it.

I bought new fuel filters for it which I’m going to change for the first time.

I am basically planning on addressing the issue in the manner Dave advised.
[/Qinput.
I've changed my fuel filters regularly every year my tractor has around 3,000 hours. I have been wondering if it could be the pump in the HST. I'm awaiting delivery of a shop manual to see if the pump can be rebuilt or replaced and determine if its feasible to do myself and how expensive it would be to do or have done. Thanks for your time and information.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for the reply and info, I'm waiting for delivery of all filters ( air, oil, HST filter and screen and both fuel filters, fuel pump was replaced about 3 years ago. As for the lift pump is that a " lift pump" for fuel or for the actual hydraulic lift pump for the mowing deck and hitch.? I have a 4 foot rototiller that I use occasionally and the hitch and deck seem to lift fine. Again thank you for your imput.
The phrase "lift pump," refers to the pump which delivers fuel to the fuel injection pump. On some tractors the placement of the fuel tank is such that when the tank is above half full and the tractor is on level ground, gravity can deliver the fuel from the tank to the injection pump.

As the tank level drops or the tractor is being operated on a slope, gravity can no longer deliver fuel to the injection pump and a "lift pump," is needed to in effect raise the fuel up to the injection pump.

It is an old term which has stuck around.

The lift pump is only dealing with diesel fuel.

When it comes to the HST, this is not a place for a novice to get into. You can easily turn a small problem into a big one.

The WSM's Kubota produces should be thought of as a reference book with some operational descriptions, clearances and torque values. It certainly is not a "How To" manual.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I've changed my fuel filters regularly every year my tractor has around 3,000 hours. I have been wondering if it could be the pump in the HST. I'm awaiting delivery of a shop manual to see if the pump can be rebuilt or replaced and determine if its feasible to do myself and how expensive it would be to do or have done. Thanks for your time and information.
I’m having trouble seeing how the hydraulic system would affect the mower and/or cause the engine to slow down. I keep thinking that if the hydraulic pump wasn’t pumping properly, unless there was a mechanical issue that was significant, it should not cause the engine to bog down.

I think the only connection between the engine and the mower deck is the hydraulically operated clutch which is activated when the PTO lever is put in the on position.

So the question is, would it be possible for something to be wrong with the HST pump or hydraulic pump, that would add load to the engine without a significant symptom appearing somehow?

I don’t know the answer, but somehow I think not…