BX1800 Hydraulic Lines

Tominator

Equipment
BX1800
Jan 30, 2011
Sunbury, Ohio
Hello,

I have a BX1800 with 600+ hrs on it. About 2 years ago the power steering lines developed a small leak so I had them repaired. While pushing snow the other day, I noticed hydralic fluid on the snow, and it appears that the lines are leaking again.

Is this a fairly easy repair to do myself, or should I take it back to the shop again?

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
If you are patient and dont mind getting oily, it isnt too bad of a job. In the shop I usually put the tractor on jackstands to make it a little easier. Remove the mower and loader if equipped. I usually replace both lines that run together from the steering controller, one to the front, and one to the back of the tractor

Tominator

Equipment
BX1800
Jan 30, 2011
Sunbury, Ohio
Thank you.

Is there something that can be done to alleviate this problem? Seems to me it's a bad design if these things keep developing leaks in the middle of the line.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Not sure, the ones I had replaced have not shown up leaking again. Check to be sure the routing of the hoses is correct- be sure they are not rubbing anything, and be sure to use the sleeve that covers the hoses.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Thank you.

Is there something that can be done to alleviate this problem? Seems to me it's a bad design if these things keep developing leaks in the middle of the line.
I know I'm late here, but gotta throw this info out for the next guy. I hafta replace my PS lines because of a pinhole leak that just showed up at 377 hrs on my 2002 bx1800.

Got to looking in the owners manual under service intervals #18 an it says to replace them every 200 hours. Thats BS in my opinion to design something like that.
What they need is another layer of SS braid to make them more durable an stronger. About $60 for the pair from dlr.

I think I can get a stronger line made for that price or less at the machine shop locally.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I know I'm late here, but gotta throw this info out for the next guy. I hafta replace my PS lines because of a pinhole leak that just showed up at 377 hrs on my 2002 bx1800.

Got to looking in the owners manual under service intervals #18 an it says to replace them every 200 hours. Thats BS in my opinion to design something like that.
What they need is another layer of SS braid to make them more durable an stronger. About $60 for the pair from dlr.

I think I can get a stronger line made for that price or less at the machine shop locally.
My dealer said to only replace if they leak, mine on our BX2200 didn't leak until 650 hours and then only a slight film.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Replace only when leaking to the point can't stand it anymore.

Use commercial hydraulic hose shop instead of dealer---better hose and better price.

Replace OEM sleeve with heavy duty polyethylene spiral-wrap hose protectors. Not cheap, well worth it, reuseable.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
At 22.50 per gallon for fluild I can't stand much of a leak....hahaha Mine had one of'em leaking right out in the middle where nothing rubs or hits it. The old Jap kubotas didn't used to have these kinda troubles. My tractor is a U.S. made one, you'd think it would be better made than this.
I tell ya what, the older jap stuff is better quality than a lot of the stuff you get over here anymore. I guess they think we'll put up with this stuff nowadays.