BX1800 fuel tank troubles-Need Help

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Can you take the roll bar off and unbolt enough stuff to be able to raise/tip the rear of the sheet metal fender/floorpan assy to get to the tank to repair or remove it? Or does the whole thing hafta come off?

Its leaking on the top. Sender or crack, can't tell until question above is answered

Thanx
Ron

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Never cut sideways on a hillside is your first problem. Too dangerous and you could flip over. And it could be a thing the fuel spills out because the mower is sideways on the slope.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Can you take the roll bar off and unbolt enough stuff to be able to raise/tip the rear of the sheet metal fender/floorpan assy to get to the tank to repair or remove it? Or does the whole thing hafta come off?

Its leaking on the top. Sender or crack, can't tell until question above is answered

Thanx
Ron

BUMP......still hunting an answer to my question. It should be the same as the 2200 also

navy599

Equipment
BX220 KING KUTTER 48 TILLER. 5 FT REAR BLADE, 2750 SNOW BLOWER, FEL, REAR BAGGER
Apr 30, 2012
Tolono, Illinois, U.S.A.
I have a bx2200 service manual in the garage. I will look for you tomorrow. you should be able to take the rops off. remove the piece on the rear between the fenders. and then anything that holds the floor down. and raise it enough to get to the tank. may have to remove the seat if the fender won't clear it. you will also have to remove the control lever caps off of the handles to be able to raise the fenders. I am not sure if you can unbolt the fenders from the floor pan. some tractors you can. anyway I will look in the manual in the morning and see what I can find out for you. I sold my bx2200 and got a 2230 and still have the service manual for the 2200. maybe i can scan what you need and email it to you. navy599@ live dot com

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
You leak is most likely the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit on the left top of tank.. I have the same problem with my BX2230 if I fill the the tank to the top. You can easily find out by just filling to 3/4 and see if it stops. It's a PITA to get at so I just fill to 3/4 or a little better and got around the problem.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
The leaking sender unit on the left side of the gas tank is a known problem. Mine has been repaired by the dealer three times under warranty on a BX2200. Kubota has updated the seal three times. It is holding now.

If you decide to replace it be sure to get the newest revision. AND...make sure the sensor is lined up correctly in the tank. It can hit the sides and get stuck.

Anyways, I just had to replace the steering hydraulic lines. That requires the ROPS, seat, and fender(s), along with the floorboard be removed. It is time-consuming but if you take it easy and remember what goes where it can be done.

The dealer hated replacing the seals because it took several labor hours to replace a $3 part. I'm sure he got some reimbursement from Kubota but not what he would have gotten if his mechanics were working on maintenance for farmers.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
One of My front P/S lines just started leaking, so I am gonna put both of'em on while I am at it. It only has 377 hours on the machine.

About $60 for the 2 from dlr. and I bet they are only 1 braid of SS. They go bad again and I'll put a 2 or 3 layer braid ss line on it from the local tractor dlr/machine shop.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
One of My front P/S lines just started leaking, so I am gonna put both of'em on while I am at it. It only has 377 hours on the machine.

About $60 for the 2 from dlr. and I bet they are only 1 braid of SS. They go bad again and I'll put a 2 or 3 layer braid ss line on it from the local tractor dlr/machine shop.
You are not going to like the job of replacing the lines to the pump. Attachment points are hard to access. But since you have it apart for the gas tank it makes a lot of sense to replace the hydraulic lines.

Hydraulic line failure is also another known problem in this model.

On the heavier lines, that is what I did. It was not a good choice. Tolerances and openings are tight, some sheet metal had to be trimmed, and brackets reshaped. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
What makes it even harder to do, is have an oxygen line hooked to ya an in the way all the time.
I carry my little bottle with me all the time on the tractor where I found a place to bungee it too, but when it comes to working on it, I have an oxygen making machine in the shop.
Its terrible to be old an try to do things. Oh yea, hafta wear reading glasses for up close s**t also

The wonderful golden years

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Haven't worked on the particular machine in question.

But have overhauled entire hydraulic hose system on couple orange backhoes.

Lay hands on set of 'flare nut crow foot' ratchet wrench "sockets". Good price for Craftsman compared to tool-truck distributors. Harbor Freight has smaller set but watch for flaking chrome as will slice hands.

Also consider coming up with set of 'hydraulic service wrenches' that have oddly offset open-end heads. Will not be inexpensive but well worth the cost. And you can pass them to your kids.

A set of long thin 'tappet' wrenches will be handy for holding backup on the odd adapters Kubota likes to use in some applications. May need to cut or slightly bend but will pay huge rewards.

These two tools make life so much easier and faster. Especially when large number of hoses attach at common manifold or valve bank or restricted area. Don't know how would have gotten some off-on using standard available wrenches.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Had an auto shop for 15 years. Got the sears crowfoots, metric an US line wrenchs, and the 4 thin open end wrench set sears sold as tappet wrenchs plus a lot of heated an bent wrenchs I made. A lot of people have no idea what you are talking about when ya say tappet to'em, just us old guys.

Heck I probably have more tools than most tool stores that I have bought an collected in my 62 1/2 years here. I stil have almost all of my monkey wards tool set my brother bought me when I was 8 years old in 1958. I had lots of old lawnmowers to piddle with back then. My brother an dad would drag them in from here an there to keep me from messing with their new mowers. hehehe

Last edited:

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
Had the same issue on my BX 2200, dealer fixed under warranty , was the gasket to send unit

I bet on a 10 year old one that they won't warranty it. Even though that is whats called a design defect an should be took care of on any of'em that are leaking, no matter how old they are.

Besides, I just as soon have the part an do it myself. Other people don't care about your pride an joy an much as you do yourself.....;)