BX1770D and 12 Tons of Rip Rap

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Re: BX1870D and 12 Tons of Rip Rap

Ben,

I think that only applies to the FEL. My joy stick for the FEL has the same feature. However, the 3 point is not on a joy stick. It is on the right fender and is a simple lever. Push forward for down and pull backward for up. That lever controls the mower deck as welll as the 3 point.
I think Ben is right on this one armylifer. Actually, not just right but spot-on. I have an 1860 like you do and Ben's description matches my experience "prezactly".:) I just tap the handle to incrementaly raise/lower, I don't use a stop.

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5wZ6Kmqic

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Re: BX1870D and 12 Tons of Rip Rap

I think Ben is right on this one armylifer. Actually, not just right but spot-on. I have an 1860 like you do and Ben's description matches my experience "prezactly".:) I just tap the handle to incrementaly raise/lower, I don't use a stop.

Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5wZ6Kmqic
I'll check it out this weekend. I wish that I could check it out right now but I only get to see her on weekends.

I love this site for the quality advice that I get here. I have a lot to learn about this tractor and I'll take advice from anyone that is willing to share their experiences.

Thank you all!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Great little tractors. I have one and am amazed at what it can do. The control of the three point is a cheapy that is very difficult to use for fine grading, etc. Larger tractors are much better in that regard.

Being a geotechnical engineer, I have one question. Did your neighbor check with anyone in the business as to the potential erosion that can take place during a major flow when the rip-is nearly all one size? Sometimes the soil below gets washed out and a significant failure can result. This is usually prevented by placing the stones on a geotech fabric, preferably a non-woven type. Alternatively, use well graded rock, sized from sand to rock pieces. good luck.

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
Great little tractors. I have one and am amazed at what it can do. The control of the three point is a cheapy that is very difficult to use for fine grading, etc. Larger tractors are much better in that regard.

Being a geotechnical engineer, I have one question. Did your neighbor check with anyone in the business as to the potential erosion that can take place during a major flow when the rip-is nearly all one size? Sometimes the soil below gets washed out and a significant failure can result. This is usually prevented by placing the stones on a geotech fabric, preferably a non-woven type. Alternatively, use well graded rock, sized from sand to rock pieces. good luck.
cerlawson - Please pardon my late response, I've been gone from the house a few days.

My neighbor did consult a local builder/contractor friend of his, who stopped by several times while the work was in progress to make sure we weren't buggering things up. There is heavy geotech fabric beneath the rip rap. Both of us have gone out and checked things after a couple of very heavy gulley-washer downpours (of which we have had a whole lot of lately). Everything was as it should be and the nearby driveway is no longer eroding into my neighbor's back yard. We are all also now quite full of ourselves over this success.

Ben

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Very good to hear how it was done. Too many a contractor as well as landscapers and some engineers don't know that filtering of the flow of water is needed. It also applies to rip-rap used for beach protection.