BX v B

Don64

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, CA
I had to make the same decision last summer...BX or one of the smaller B's (budget concerns). My 5 acres is almost all sloped so in the end I chose the BX for the lower center of gravity, and added wheel spacers and filled tires. I think it was the right choice for me, for that reason.

If my property was flat(ish), I would probably have gone with the B for the extra lifting capacity. Still, the BX has done everything I've tried with ease and I couldn't be happier with it. Lots of field mowing, rock/wood/brush moving, driveway repair, grading (box blade), moving cabinets and other heavy stuff...on and on.

In the end, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Some people do use a B series for finish mowing.

Last edited:

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
Well, I went with a 2320 and have put about 85 hours on it so far this year. I have used it to finish mow, move manure and mow my pasture. Overall it has done everything I have asked of it. That being said I find that it is a little bit cumbersome as a finish mower around trees and it feels too small and light out in the pastures. My thought is that while it is adequate for everything that I do, it is not ideal for anything that I do. My thought it to move up to an L series for field and loader work and to get dedicated lawn mower for finish mowing.

My question to all of you, have any of you traded in a fairly new unit. I know i'll take a bit of a hit, but since i'm financing anyway i figure in the long run i'm better off trading sooner rather than later. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Pappy

May 13, 2013
Dallas, Texas
That sounds like a good plan as long as your wallet can stand the pain. A good zero turn would speed up the mowing and leave more time for fun/work on the L series.

Forge

Equipment
B7800, Woods LS84 FEL, MMM RC72
Dec 16, 2012
Pottstown
Get a B. We have 5 acres of finish mowing around the house - which is a breeze with a 72 inch belly mower around the trees as well. We also mow the mother-in-law's 10 acre horse pasture next door. Never mind the power - feel the width!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Well, I went with a 2320 and have put about 85 hours on it so far this year. I have used it to finish mow, move manure and mow my pasture. Overall it has done everything I have asked of it. That being said I find that it is a little bit cumbersome as a finish mower around trees and it feels too small and light out in the pastures. My thought is that while it is adequate for everything that I do, it is not ideal for anything that I do. My thought it to move up to an L series for field and loader work and to get dedicated lawn mower for finish mowing.

My question to all of you, have any of you traded in a fairly new unit. I know i'll take a bit of a hit, but since i'm financing anyway i figure in the long run i'm better off trading sooner rather than later. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Don't suffer using, making payments on equipment that just doesn't do it for you, take the hit and get it over with.

I have need of a BX, so use a BX and L5740 on one farm, for somme, a mower and L will be just the ticket.

Baltimoremike

Jan 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm looking to pull a 5 foot rotary cutter, so need a minimum of 25 horse power pto. I'm thinking L3800, but, for about an extra $2500 I think I can get into an L 3240. I'm thinking the extra money may be well spent, I do not want to make another mistake so spending a little more for the Grand L makes some sense to me.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Absolutely nothing wrong with the L32/34/3800 models, I originally considered them but found I much preferred the Grand L features and work station; course then I decided on a cab, so no real decision to make.