BX RUNNING HOT...Or Not?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Comes up often, and often they can run hot. Usually gummed up radiator.

Started mowing other night and within ten minutes I see this:

Holy smokes!! (Not what I really thought)!!
But wait a minute...haven’t run long....
Shut her down. Get laser thermometer. Top radiator hose is 135F, bottom hose is 95, and the valve cover is 127......not even to operating temperature yet.......hmmmm....

Radiator full to top, and cleaned out last week. Reservoir is good. No bubbles in radiator when running (indicator of probable head/head gasket damage).

Pulled wire off sending unit:

A little brush-brush and wiggle-wiggle. I got this on re-start and it never moved while mowing. It was about 80F:

I’ll put some dielectric grease on that connection because it’s gotten me before.

For you new guys, ALWAYS heed what the gauge says.

Don’t assume the gauge is wrong. You could end up overheating your tractor causing thousands of dollars in damage.

A $10 or 20 laser thermometer is worth it’s weight in Gold!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
REAL GOOD info there, RCW..
I'm surprised the engine didn't shut down..?? I guess it doesn't have a temp safety switch??
I've been read a few of your answers to posts.. sounds like you've got a REAL GOOD handle on the operation of these things.. Thanks for posting..

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I would be shocked if my BX or my employer's RTV gauge moves that far! Both run cold to hot using the lower 10% of the gauge! :)
Thanks for the post. Sooner or later it will happen and if it does, I would rather it be a loose connection!

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
REAL GOOD info there, RCW..
I'm surprised the engine didn't shut down..?? I guess it doesn't have a temp safety switch??
I've been read a few of your answers to posts.. sounds like you've got a REAL GOOD handle on the operation of these things.. Thanks for posting..
There never was an overheating issue as it was the gauge giving a false reading. That's what the post was about.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The other point is If you see a gauge like that, treat it as if it’s a problem until you prove it’s not.

That’s where those laser thermometers are handy in the case of a possible overheat.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would be shocked if my BX or my employer's RTV gauge moves that far! Both run cold to hot using the lower 10% of the gauge! [emoji4]

Thanks for the post. Sooner or later it will happen and if it does, I would rather it be a loose connection!

I’d be apt to check them with a thermometer also.
While HOT isn’t good, hot is. Running them cool isn’t good either.
It would just help you know they’re getting to proper operating temperature.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This model does not have a high engine temperature shut down.

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Good info and I just started a Thread regarding this issue. Mine goes to red when its not hot. I may be trying some of these things out.

Last edited: