BX HST Pedal Return Issues

John1670

Equipment
1995 B710 HSTD, RFM-48 Finish Mower, Land Pride RB1560 Blade
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Hello everyone. My friend just inherited a BX2320. Real clean machine but unfortunately the HST pedal has return issues. When the machine is off and cold the pedal returns right back. When running the machine the pedal slowly creeps to the neutral position and still accelerating until it gets there. If you quickly jab the pedal it returns as it should. The return spring is fully adjusted out, the damper or piston seems to operate properly and there is no binding on the pedal assembly or linkage. We're just looking for any guidance from someone that has maybe dealt with this before we start taking the HST apart. Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Under the tractor, there are (most likely) grease zerks that need to be greased... I have a bigger tractor but I would guess your model is the same!
Thanks old and tired. We found two or three total and they were greased. We're really hoping we're missing something obvious here but it's not looking that way.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
For what it's worth, I have to tap the reverse pedal many times to keep from creeping.
That's what we've had to do. It takes the pedal about 20 seconds to return to it's neutral position. Unfortunately during that time its still moving forward and covering some distance.
We actually do have the manual. We've covered all the basic stuff but like I said, we're hoping that we missed something.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
There is a zerk fitting that is accessed through the floor. A small flap of the rubber mat is cut out to allow access, but it's not obvious at all. Can't hurt to check that.

It's to the right of center, and just forward of center. This is for a BX25. Other BX models should be similar.

pedal grease point.png

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Try cleaning all linkage with some solvent before greasing. Its an older unit maybe old tired grease caked up with dirt under there?

Reactions: 1 user

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
Back when we had a BX I switched to SUDT from UDT and the hydro pedal issue was resolved. All of the zerks were greased properly, too.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BX23s has the same 'hidden Zerk under floor trapdoor' setup.
I START there ,as it's easy to forget ( a LOT of Zerks on a TLB ! )

Reactions: 1 user

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
There is a zerk fitting that is accessed through the floor. A small flap of the rubber mat is cut out to allow access, but it's not obvious at all. Can't hurt to check that.

It's to the right of center, and just forward of center. This is for a BX25. Other BX models should be similar.

View attachment 87508
Thanks Mark_bx25D I'll check with him to see if there's one there and if he greased it.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Try cleaning all linkage with some solvent before greasing. Its an older unit maybe old tired grease caked up with dirt under there?
Thanks leveraddict. he cleaned all the grime and road dirt out of the linkage before reapplying new grease. It was pretty dirty and needed a good wipe down.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Back when we had a BX I switched to SUDT from UDT and the hydro pedal issue was resolved. All of the zerks were greased properly, too.
Whitleystu that's interesting, I'll look into that. Maybe the super UDT is better for more worn in hydro systems with more hours. The pedal linkage returns fine when the machine is cold but stiffens up when the machine is hot and running.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
BX23s has the same 'hidden Zerk under floor trapdoor' setup.
I START there ,as it's easy to forget ( a LOT of Zerks on a TLB ! )
Thanks GreensvilleJay. I know he cleaned (degreased) everything and greased all the zerks. We'll check again to make sure none we're missed.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the same issue with my BX1860. I have had that issue for many years. It helps a little to use a very thin grease on the pedal grease zerk. After a couple times of operating I still have to tap the reverse pedal to keep it from creeping though. I think it is just the nature of the beast. I got used to it a long time ago and never gave it a thought for several years until I read this thread.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have the same issue with my BX1860. I have had that issue for many years. It helps a little to use a very thin grease on the pedal grease zerk. After a couple times of operating I still have to tap the reverse pedal to keep it from creeping though. I think it is just the nature of the beast. I got used to it a long time ago and never gave it a thought for several years until I read this thread.
Same is true on my much larger L48 TLB.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
WhitleyStu it was a winner. We drained the trans, changed the filter and filled with UDT2 and it eliminated 70- 80% of the pedal return creep. I don't know what the synthetic blend had over the regular UDT but it's a big improvement. Thanks again for the tip.

Reactions: 1 users

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Hey armylifer. WhitleyStu gave me a tip this morning about switching over to Super UDT2. We drained the hydro oil, changed the filter and refilled with Super UDT2 and it eliminated around 75% of the return pedal creep. You should maybe give it a try if you have the same issue. it's not perfect but a big improvement.

"Scouts Out"

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Hey armylifer. WhitleyStu gave me a tip this morning about switching over to Super UDT2. We drained the hydro oil, changed the filter and refilled with Super UDT2 and it eliminated around 75% of the return pedal creep. You should maybe give it a try if you have the same issue. it's not perfect but a big improvement.

"Scouts Out"
I actually tried that several years ago. The problem came back though. I really cannot attribute any improvement to switching to SUDT2 though because I also serviced the whole tractor at the same time I changed to SUDT2. That included cleaning everything up and greasing all the zerks.

I hope that the issue stays resolved for your friend though.

Airborne!

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
I actually tried that several years ago. The problem came back though. I really cannot attribute any improvement to switching to SUDT2 though because I also serviced the whole tractor at the same time I changed to SUDT2. That included cleaning everything up and greasing all the zerks.

I hope that the issue stays resolved for your friend though.

Airborne!
Thanks again armylifer!