BX grill guard; cruise control for BX1870

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
Hi,
I'm getting close to buying a BX1870.
So, I'm looking at options:
1) cruise control. Dealer installed price is $128. I don't think I'll do this, as I probably won't be "cruising" much.

2) Grill guard. The Kubota website shows it at $162.
I've seen pictures of what looks like aftermarket Grill guards that look quite nice.

What opinions are there on grill guard options, or if it's even worth it?

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Hi,
I'm getting close to buying a BX1870.
So, I'm looking at options:
1) cruise control. Dealer installed price is $128. I don't think I'll do this, as I probably won't be "cruising" much.

2) Grill guard. The Kubota website shows it at $162.
I've seen pictures of what looks like aftermarket Grill guards that look quite nice.

What opinions are there on grill guard options, or if it's even worth it?
If you will be mowing, then the cruise control is a must have, and at only $128 on a 10k + tractor, it is a real bargain. If you are doing mainly back and forth loader work, then it is of dubious value.

A grill guard is a good idea, although less so if you are not doing loader work.

What is your main purpose for the tractor?

David

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmmm my BX came with cruse as standard equipment, and to honest I have never used it, maybe things have changed for the 70 series, and for the grill guard look on Ebay I think they are a tad cheaper

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
It is standard on all but the BX1870.

I'll primarily be using it for mowing. But, I don't have long stretches of straight runs to mow.

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
Hi, are you gonna be doing any snow removal? Is so, I would definitely step up to the 2370.
Cheers
Rob

jbarber

Nov 20, 2014
Blaine, Mn.
I think I might use the loader for nuisance snowfalls, and some light cleanup. But, I probably won't add a snowblower.
We don't usually get that much snow here in Mn.
-Jeff

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I wouldn't bother stepping up to more power for snow removal. I have a BX1860 (last years) and we get about 70" of snow a year and it has plenty of grunt.

The guard is nice looking but it cuts down on your approach depth. For instance, if I'm putting snow over a fence the guard takes about three critical inches of lifting arm depth away. The grey portion of the frame on the nose protects the body without it anyway. Also, the guard would have to come off every time you wanted to service it:eek: and that's a PITA if you ask me. The whole front of the tractor can come off with no tools UNLESS you have a grill guard.

As far as implements go I would recomend just getting a backblade which is a WHOLE lot cheaper and easier to maintain vs. a blower. I use a 5' backblade for snowfall up to 6". I flip it around and push in reverse with the backblade for 6" - 15". For 15" and up I use the bucket and the blade dragging behind it.

If we regularly woke up to 2 feet of snow or I can see how the blower would be a must have but otherwise the blade does a great job and is faster than a blower for less than a foot of snow.

Last edited: