BX FUEL PUMP experience

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
At some 242 hours on a BX purchased in summer 2010 I have more than my share of fuel related problems. I blame some on using a biocide and maybe some plugging in fuel tank. Also fuel filters seemed to load up too early. However, along the line I switched fuel pumps such that factory supplied were viewed with suspicion since I could only get 3 psi out of them when the rated range is 3 to 6 psi. A total of five fuel pump changes were made, some with new and some placing original factory pump back once. I looked on Internet to see about other than factory pumps and they run in cost starting at about $10.. Bought two from a source in Hong King at $18 each. Puts out 6 psi. Slightly different design. That is part number HEP-02A. Service life on the first one used was only 10 hours. The one factory model that failed got over 100 hours at least. These cost about $150. So far I'll have to run with only them for the time being. These pumps use a piston that rides back and forth in a cylinder, activated via a coil surrounding the cylinder. Nothing rotates. Number one fuel filter now is one originally made for a Grand L tractor. Look up on U-tube for a Canadian making this switch.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
At some 242 hours on a BX purchased in summer 2010 I have more than my share of fuel related problems. I blame some on using a biocide and maybe some plugging in fuel tank. Also fuel filters seemed to load up too early. However, along the line I switched fuel pumps such that factory supplied were viewed with suspicion since I could only get 3 psi out of them when the rated range is 3 to 6 psi. A total of five fuel pump changes were made, some with new and some placing original factory pump back once. I looked on Internet to see about other than factory pumps and they run in cost starting at about $10.. Bought two from a source in Hong King at $18 each. Puts out 6 psi. Slightly different design. That is part number HEP-02A. Service life on the first one used was only 10 hours. The one factory model that failed got over 100 hours at least. These cost about $150. So far I'll have to run with only them for the time being. These pumps use a piston that rides back and forth in a cylinder, activated via a coil surrounding the cylinder. Nothing rotates. Number one fuel filter now is one originally made for a Grand L tractor. Look up on U-tube for a Canadian making this switch.
cerlawson,

I had a similar problem with my BX2350. At about 200 hrs., the pump failed. I replaced with Kubota pump ($98) and it lasted about another 75 hrs. I went to Bumper to Bumper Auto (local store) and got one that was rated for 3 to 9 psi. I had to change the way it is hooked up, but no big deal. BX now has over 900 hrs. on it and it is still going strong. Best part, it only cost me $12. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave