Bx fuel jelled

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
On the first I went out to start my 2670 first run in a month. I new is was going to be ruff start. Sluggish start but it did start ran for 5 minutes then stalled. Put tractor on charger ... pulled out wife's hair dryer and warmed filters fuel rail . Started up ran 5 minutes stalled. Picked up some 911 but in 5 oz , ran hair dryer . Fired up ran 30 minutes. Drove it a half mile parked it back in shed. Dealer gave me a Kubota brand conditioner said it was good enough. Obviously it was not. Do I need to add more 911 or something else to get through the winter . After 7 below again last night I'm wondering if it will be jelled up again. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mike -

You're in New Yorkistan like me. Been cold.

An additive isn't a guarantee, but insurance. I tend to double my insurance by dosing my BX fuel well above the recommended. Won't hurt it.

When did you buy your diesel? Is it summer or winter blend? Was the fuel treated before you put in the stuff fro your dealer?

Has your tank been full, or nearly so? A tank left well-below full can attract condensation/water as temperatures cause expansion/contraction. Your filters could be frozen with water.

If you can get the tractor warm, it might work. Put a tarp over it and put a heater underneath and let it warm. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

You may need to pull the filters, and dosing them with your Diesel 911 from Power Service, not just putting it in the tank.

I use the Power Service White bottle stuff in the winter - - probably equivalent of the Kubota product you got from your dealer. Summers I use their Silver stuff.

Never had an issue (yet), but it has been colder than normal.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
Tank was full. Had to have bought diesel last of November. Dont have the white bottle but i do have gray bottle and the red 911. Will give it a go tomorrow after noon.

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
Youre not the only one! Super cold blast here in RI. I hook up my rear pto snowblower and ready for work then she bogs down. Crap- is it some filament that got in hydraulic? Well i put her in heated barn for some time and she rebounds. Out again to blow snow and it happens again. Thankfully i found the last bottle of antigel in town! And i had two fuel filters on hand. What a biatch changing the underbelly filter especially with the fan guard in place. Job done new fuel filters and antigel from now on in winter. Did I mention what a PITA that belly mount fuel filter is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
I also really wish the pto had more HP to throw snow. The wet heavy stuff just doesn’t get out of the chute with any oomph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Also happened to me a couple years ago. Ran fine one night at 0 degrees, next day was -20. Gelled up as soon as it drove out of the shed. Lesson learned, always have a spare set of fuel filters, diesel 911, doesnt hurt to have a spare jug of winter diesel and power service white bottle. The following spring I installed a fuel shutoff, helps with regular maintenance too.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
So on Tuesday we warmed up . Put a healthy splash of white bottle power service 4 oz. In the tank. 9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning started her up for snow removal chores. Ran for 3 hrs no problem. Hope this means no more problems. Topped of with fresh diesel treated with power service before I stored. Thanks again for the info.

Bill15kv

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 7, 2018
Vermont
So on Tuesday we warmed up . Put a healthy splash of white bottle power service 4 oz. In the tank. 9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning started her up for snow removal chores. Ran for 3 hrs no problem. Hope this means no more problems. Topped of with fresh diesel treated with power service before I stored. Thanks again for the info.

Your on the money now...put 4oz. of the white PS in the 5 gal can each time you get fuel during the winter months, cheap insurance.
Like RCW said, fill her up every time you put it away to keep the tank from developing condensation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
On the first I went out to start my 2670 first run in a month. I new is was going to be ruff start. Sluggish start but it did start ran for 5 minutes then stalled. Put tractor on charger ... pulled out wife's hair dryer and warmed filters fuel rail . Started up ran 5 minutes stalled. Picked up some 911 but in 5 oz , ran hair dryer . Fired up ran 30 minutes. Drove it a half mile parked it back in shed. Dealer gave me a Kubota brand conditioner said it was good enough. Obviously it was not. Do I need to add more 911 or something else to get through the winter . After 7 below again last night I'm wondering if it will be jelled up again. Thanks for any help.
An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure especially at 20 below! A lot of you folks new to diesels find out, belatedly, that diesels are not like SI engines which burn gasoline especially when it comes to cold weather. The first sign of a cold weather-fuel related problem is a failure to start after cranking or a engine run down and a loss of power of a started engine caused by fuel starvation somewhere in the fuel delivery system.

In cold weather it's hard to tell what causes a fuel delivery problem on a diesel. It could be summer fuel "jelling" or it could be ice from water condensed in the fuel freezing at the tank outlet, in the lines or on the filter(s).

Using a blow dryer on a on the tank outlet, fuel lines and a filter that's in a metal canister can melt the ice but if you don't drain the water out, it will just happen again. To minimize condensation (you can't eliminate it) try to keep the tank full. If you duel filter has a drain, drain it regularly into a clear jar and look for water at the bottom. Drain it before every start until you don't find anymore and then maybe once a week until you get the feel for how long it will take to accumulate more than a few drops. Treat the fuel with a good fuel treatment. The treatment makes the water form large globs the slide off the filter.

"Jelling" is really the precipitation of wax, long chain hydrocarbons(LCH) , in the fuel. This LCH provides more energy per unit volume to the fuel in summer months but will cause nothing but misery during diesel engine operations in cold weather. Winter blended fuels are usually composed of mixtures of#2 diesel with lower energy #1 diesel( #2 diesel with LCH removed). If you get caught with a partial tank of summer fuel, fill the remainder of the tank with #1 diesel and treat the fuel with a good winter additive. It's a good time to change the fuel filter is you haven't changed it recently. If you have "jelling" in the fuel, the tank fuel will look cloudy as wax begins to precipitate and the filter element, if visible, will look like it is coated with wax. You can try 911 treatment per the label, bring the tractor into a warm building until the wax "melts", try to use a blow dryer on the filter, put #1 and fuel treatment in the tank, etc but this will all take some time and in the middle of a snow storm you won't be plowing out. Also, it's a good idea to always have a spare fuel filter(s) around. And while you are doing all this anti-jell work, charge your battery because you probably ran it down trying to start when you fuel delivery was blocked.

Prevention is the name of the game. Good fuel housekeeping and using the correct fuel blend for the season will keep you running in cold weather.

Just my $0.02!

Last edited: