BX 23STLB reverse was slow now fixed

Dover

Equipment
bx23tlb
Jan 29, 2020
Napanee, ontario, canada
I have a BX23S , since getting it 2 years ago, fwd was normal but reverse was slow and had no power. To back up a slight incline, I had to put it into low range (turtle). This week it eventually stopped moving in reverse completely. Drove it forward to the garage, then the reverse worked in a slow crawl. Looking under the tractor, I found the problem.
The shaft coming from the forward/reverse pedals toward the rear of the tractor has a link, just above the hydrostatic oil filter. The nut had fallen off. I removed the oil filter to get access, added two nuts to the end of the link replaced the filter and it now has a reverse speed I had not seen since I bought it. Attached are two pics.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Dover.

I am glad that you found out what the problem was and was able to fix it.

It makes perfect sense that would be the problem once you see it. I guess that goes with all the other nuts to be checked for proper tightness when delivered.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
I have a BX23S , since getting it 2 years ago, fwd was normal but reverse was slow and had no power. To back up a slight incline, I had to put it into low range (turtle). This week it eventually stopped moving in reverse completely. Drove it forward to the garage, then the reverse worked in a slow crawl. Looking under the tractor, I found the problem.
The shaft coming from the forward/reverse pedals toward the rear of the tractor has a link, just above the hydrostatic oil filter. The nut had fallen off. I removed the oil filter to get access, added two nuts to the end of the link replaced the filter and it now has a reverse speed I had not seen since I bought it. Attached are two pics.
While you are at it, check the under seat spring nuts and the throttle lever nut. There are a few threads on this forum discussing those very issues. Like tis one:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39380

rotaryjohn

Equipment
BX2380, FEL, LPBoxBlade, Piranha Tooth Bar
May 6, 2018
Ila, GA
Any chance anyone knows what
Any chance anyone knows what size nut this is. That is the problem with mine and I want to get the nut beforehand.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Any chance anyone knows what

Any chance anyone knows what size nut this is. That is the problem with mine and I want to get the nut beforehand.
It would be 5/16" 24 TPI

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It would be 5/16" 24 TPS
Dang - - you've forgotten more than most of us will ever know.....

Awesome... (y) I know you and a few others here have paid their dues...

My hat's off to you....🤠 :)

Last edited:

kilmurraybx

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 1, 2021
Tannersville
Hi Dover
Will I need to take off backhoe to do this job, I could not find the connection.
Thanks
Brendan