PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
2020 BX 23S
40 hours
Newbie owner

Went to use my chipper for the first time yesterday.
Everything in neutral, flipped the seat up with back lever, engage pto, stalls.
sat in seat, engage pto stays running.
get up, stalls.
Go get the manual, follow directions, stalls.
repeat everything, check everything, stalls.
Bring it back to yard area, flip seat back around, SLAM the PTO lever down to rear PTO selection, it runs!!
Take it back out to woods, repeat everything, flip seat around engage PTO, stalls.
WTF???????
Jam the lever down to rear PTO postition, stays running!!
Barely lift the PTO lever a tiny finger-bit out of rear position towards mid-pto position, stalls right away.

Obviously I have a linkage problem with PTO selector lever, if its not jammed down in the rear position the tractor stalls out. It took me 10-15 minutes to figure out it was NOT the seat switch.

Question: Is this linkage something I can get in there and adjust myself? Anyone have experience with this?
My temporary solution is going to be to hook a bungee on the lever and stretch it down and hook it on the fender to keep it in the rear position.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
With my 2601 the seat needs to be popped up (like when rotating it) not flipped forward towards steering wheel.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The L2501 requires the seat be flipped up but I don't know what the B series requires. If the above directions don't work try checking the seat switch with an ohmmeter to be sure contacts are working as they should.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
At the risk of making a stupid comment (like I’ve never done that before) one thing you didn’t mention in the procedure was setting the parking brake. Maybe it isn’t necessary on yours but I know on mine, in addition to the stuff you listed, the parking brake also has to be set to run the PTO with no operator in the seat.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
yea.
I went through the motions 3-4 times on everything, flipping the seat 2 different ways, parking brake, neutral, etc, etc.
I most definitely found the culprit to be the PTO selector lever.
I'm able to prevent it from stalling by jamming downward toward the rear PTO position and holding it there. Then the lightest lift upwards causes the tractor to stall.
Even with the tractor just doing its normal shaking, it was almost stalling.
Something in the linkage.
If I take it back to the dealer any time in the next few months I'll tell them about it, if not I may try to figure out how to take the selector cover off and take a look at the linkage.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I found a fuzzy but kinda readable wiring diagram for the BX23S... there IS a 'PTO shift lever switch' that will kill the engine so I understand what's happening.
There should be some form of 'adjustment', maybe to add 'tension' to the PTO lever 'arm' to make it stay in place(similar to the throttle ). Probably obvious once you look at the leaver setup. Raise tractor up on BH legs, jackstands, then take tire/rim off first,to gain better access.

edit... had a quik look online at kubota parts,doesn't appear to be any 'springs or tensioning' devices for the PTO engage lever ('070' is the switch actuator though....). might be adjustment on the actual switch though. nothing obvious in the WSM for adjustments...
one of those have to be there to SEE what's going on...

Jay

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A dumb comment but I believe the PTO selector has to be set for the rear PTO only it to run with the seat flipped up

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
looking at the fuzzy.diagram.....
. power goes from OPC timer fuse->seat turn switch->Rear PTO switch->HST neutal switch-> engine stop solenoid timer relay... BUT.... you can bypass the seat -> read PTO sw IF the PTO selector is in the right position....

sigh..... got a headach from trying to read the diagram.... so there's at least two configurations that'll run/kill the engine...
wish I could print out a clean,clear copy of the diagram....

Jay