BX-2380 overheating

balthazar4T8b

Equipment
BX-2380; 344 loader; mower deck
May 23, 2024
Northern NY
1st post-new here
I have a 3 yo 2380 with 95 plus hours that shows a temp gauge pointer inching toward red-zone after just 45 minutes of mowing.
I check coolant levels of reservoir & radiator before every mow, which is usually once a week. The filters, rad screen cover and deck are
attended to after every mow-clearing accumulated debree.
Are the 2380's known to have a problem with overheating?
What should I be looking at/for (occasionally antifreeze is topped up in reservoir)?
It is only a summer problem, when temps are in the 65-85F range. Winter plowing is not a problem.
It is frustrating to halt mowing half-way through, to allow temp to come down.
Looking forward to any and all responses-thanks in advance.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
About once a year, I clean the radiator fins with Simple Green. Warm up the tractor, shut it off, spray with Simple Green, let it sit for 30-45 minutes, and rinse with a Radiator Genie (https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Gen...7a20470e5f46313bb50f21f26b36a957&gad_source=1). I DO NOT ever use a pressure washer like some folks seem to do. Seems to work for me. I also blow out the radiator fins after and sometimes during every mowing with the leaf blower and/or compressed air. It doesn't seem like these 2380's have much cooling capacity.

Reactions: 1 user

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
Radiator genue like @imnukensc said is huge help. The bx by design are not the most cooling efficient machines and summertime mowing is when you notice it the most. Could be a few things but if you could get an infrared thermometer and see what the temperature difference is going into thr radiator and coming out of the radiator that would help give a better idea what's going on. You can get them inexpensive at harbor freight

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
As already mentioned making sure radiator is clean is important. Brushing/blowing grass and junk off isn't sufficient , you must wash dirt from BETWEEN fins. If there's anything like oil cooler in front of or in back of radiator you must be vigilant in making sure debris isn't hiding between nor inside fins of either. I do use an electric pressure washer which has no where near pressure gas washers put out. If you have 80psi or more from hydrant a wand on a garden hose is fine.

Belt should be tight enough you can't turn pump or alternator pulley by hand. Make sure fan shroud is present, mechanics have been known to fail reinstalling shroud after working on tractor.

Ok radiator is clean,full of coolant and belt is tight. Factory installed gauges are known to be low quality and notoriously inaccurate. I recommend installing an aftermarket gauge that displays actual temperature instead of cold-normal-Hot zones. Newer tractors with OBD port can have data reader plugged in to display water and oil temperature along with other perimeters and trouble codes. You may find that engine isn't actually overheating,the gauge could be misleading.

Make sure you run engine at recommended rps. Diesel engines are capable of pulling hard at less than recommended rpms but it is very harmful to do so. 'Read and follow operator's manual for rpms.
If you aren't 100% sure it isn't overheating after the above take it to a pro. A single overheating event can cause catastrophic engine damage and running at above design temperature IS taking hours off life of engine.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious about this....
Factory installed gauges are known to be low quality and notoriously inaccurate
..as Kubota engineerd them and they are computer controlled, unlike the aftermarket addons that are either mechanical or electrical.
BX2380 like my BX23S doesn't have an OBD port, they do have CANbus though I don't have any specs/data to registers to read temperatures.A CANreader is easy to make ($20 in parts + case + cable)

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
As already mentioned making sure radiator is clean is important. Brushing/blowing grass and junk off isn't sufficient , you must wash dirt from BETWEEN fins. If there's anything like oil cooler in front of or in back of radiator you must be vigilant in making sure debris isn't hiding between nor inside fins of either.
Good advice! Did this every 10 hours or so of mowing, never had an overheat event in 12 seasons of mowing with the BX.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
There was a comment about cleaning the radiator fins with Simple Green. SG is a great cleaner but has a very high pH and is highly corrosive to aluminum. Be careful using it on radiator fins.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There's a cleaner the HVAC guys use on AC boxes to clean the fins..also made of aluminium....

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
There's a cleaner the HVAC guys use on AC boxes to clean the fins..also made of aluminium....
Acid based which can be even worse in the hands of inexperienced than high ph. Be aware that conventional ac condenser coil cleaner will strip paint and etch aluminum. Unless there's oil/grease involved water can do everything needed which is carry debris away without the cloud created by pressurized air. If one feels better using cleaner,car wash or dish soap work and there's no worry when splashed on paint and chrome.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The usual tendency is to keep working until the gauge goes into the red. BUT, it's the thermal movement of the head and gasket which will shortly crack the head. Repeated work at less than red zone can be just as bad as one red zone event. A lot of misery and down time can be avoided by taking care of this now.

If the fins are not visible, then the radiator should be taken out and visually examined for cleanliness. A lot easier than replacing the head and gasket.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The usual tendency is to keep working until the gauge goes into the red. BUT, it's the thermal movement of the head and gasket which will shortly crack the head. Repeated work at less than red zone can be just as bad as one red zone event. A lot of misery and down time can be avoided by taking care of this now.

If the fins are not visible, then the radiator should be taken out and visually examined for cleanliness. A lot easier than replacing the head and gasket.
Short,sweet and to the point. So that you aren't just wasting time preaching to the saved let's rattle OP's chain to make sure he's awake and taking it in. @balthazar4T8b are you paying attention to all this advice? 👨‍🎓

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Consider removing the battery and use a vacuum on the other side of the radiator.
Friends BX25D(BX2370) fixed his overheating issue!
Good Luck!

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
Fan belt slipping?

Make sure the entire surface (top to bottom, all corners) of the radiator is clean. Inspect carefully, remove battery and screen, hose it out.

Run the proper coolant mix - too much glycol isn't as good for heat transfer as the 50/50 mix