BX 2380 at 99.7 hours - anything I should especially be looking for?

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
At last use, my bx2380 was sitting at 99.7 hours - time for that 100hr service. Other than the usual 100 hour maintenance (https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/maintenance-schedules/check-points-maintenance-schedule) does anyone have any other items I should check while I'm at it?

I replaced the blades (60" mower deck) mid last season (I have 2 sets, one sharpened and ready to go if needed). Since I mow a field a few times a year I constantly check the air filter and screen / radiator. I ran into issue once mowing the field were the radiator had restricted air flow - simple solution to blow it off when temp started climbing. Last year I added secondary air filter and I have replacement for primary and secondary air filters on hand.

Very happy with it (purchased July 2020) overall - it's a beast for as little of a tractor as it is. Found many uses for the front end loader!

Dan

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Torque on lug nuts and FEL mounts

Reactions: 2 users

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Check your tie rod boots for rips or tears. If needed replace with aftermarket

Pay attention to the fluid level in your front axle.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Be sure to grease the pedal Zerk under the rubber floor mat....
tighten the rad hose clamps...

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think the manual is pretty comprehensive…I’d also offer if you don’t normally clean/wash, that’s part of maintenance as well and the cleaner you keep it the easier to find a leak/loose fitting. I agree with i7 on the wheel torque…if something comes loose that’s on the owner, not the dealer or manufacturer, doesn’t mean the dealer did not do, but that is an ounce of prevention…that goes for trailer wheels, motorcycles or whatever IMO. If you have scratched any paint off, touch it up if you are worried about it. If you have any implements, don’t forget them which the greasing, torquing, etc.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Excellent tips! thanks all. When I did 50 hour maintenance, I watched a few videos on youtube - ones I watched did call out the zerk under the floor rubber mat.

I only have 60" mowing deck and FEL at this point, but do keep maintenance up on them.
I have 2 sets of blade, when it's time to change, I keep one set sharpened and ready to swap then sharpen the dull ones. I also keep air filter on hand, as I mow a field with it and can be a lot of seeds and stuff clogging up air vent, radiator and filter.

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
This reply is tad late, but I did complete the maintenance.

I found a lot of clippings under the plastic covers on the deck. While I had the deck off, I cleaned it up. After mowing, I use blower to clean it up - apparently, I need to check under the covers more frequently.

I found that using tub-o-towels works well on cleaning up the grease.

Dan

icspots

Equipment
BX2380 LA344 Loader MMM
May 10, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
Check the bolts around the MMM spindle pulleys. All of my left ones came out, ovaled out the holes, and ruined the pulley. All of the right ones were just past finger tight.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
On my B’s MMM, I take the pulley covers off to clean under them every time I mow. There is grass in there every time. before I realized that, I didn’t clean in there. The first time I did, right after mowing, that old grass was pretty dang hot. I also remove the engine side panels and radiator screen and blow the dust and seeds out of the radiator and engine compartment. I do the same on my L, but there are no pulleys or covers on a brush hog.

Does the BX’s radiator suck from the operator station and blow the air across the engine, opposite way of the normal direction of travel (which is generally pretty slow on a tractor)?

On the BX’s inching 3 point control, do you hold the lever up the whole time the 3 point goes up and hold it down the whole time the three point goes down?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Lube job. Never ever retorqued any nuts/bolts myself on any previous 3 tractors. Never had anything come loose.
Do you clean your loaded gun because it's never gone off while doing it?

It's easy to find multiple threads about cracked rims and lost wheels on this forum.

Then again preventive maintenance is a waste of time and money I bet you could go for years never maintaining your car/truck/tractor.

• Haha

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
On my B’s MMM, I take the pulley covers off to clean under them every time I mow. There is grass in there every time. before I realized that, I didn’t clean in there. The first time I did, right after mowing, that old grass was pretty dang hot. I also remove the engine side panels and radiator screen and blow the dust and seeds out of the radiator and engine compartment. I do the same on my L, but there are no pulleys or covers on a brush hog.

Does the BX’s radiator suck from the operator station and blow the air across the engine, opposite way of the normal direction of travel (which is generally pretty slow on a tractor)?

On the BX’s inching 3 point control, do you hold the lever up the whole time the 3 point goes up and hold it down the whole time the three point goes down?
It seems that way to me. I mow a field and everytime I have to clean off the plastic screen around the battery under the steering wheel multiple times (it's 3-4 acre lot). Then have to pop the hood and remove the screen before the radiator to clean it othewise it'll run hot. It gets clogged up and can basically stop all air flow.

After getting home, I blow off the radiator with my air compressor using an extra long blow gun I picked up from harbor freight specifically for my BX.

Dan

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
A "trick" I discovered years ago when mowing during "dandelion season" with the TG (same basic rad setup as a BX) was to tape a kids T-shirt or other thin cloth to the intake screen (by your shins) to block all those pesky dandelion fluffy seed things from sticking (in)to the screen, requiring the constant need to stop every 10-15mins to pick them out and/or the beast from overheating. (make no mistake, it WILL OVERHEAT)

Yes, you will still need to stop at some point and yank the heavy metal screen beside the radiator and shake the debris off. (I yank it about the 45minute mark and then again another 45mins later.) but it's much better than every 10mins.

YMMV