BX 1500 coughing & sputtering on slope

Redstart97

Equipment
BX1500, FEL, York Rake, Plow Blade
Jun 11, 2009
Gasport, NY
My BX 1500 has been a real work horse over the years. Recently I have been experiencing coughing and sputtering while mowing, especially going up-hill. Seems to be fine the rest of the time.
Fuel filters were replaced in February
Any thoughts on what I should do?

Rolling Stock

Equipment
L4350DT, LA950 loader
Jun 17, 2016
Othello, WA
I am not familiar with this model, but anytime I see coughing or sputtering on a hill but have full power on level ground I start at fuel delivery, if your fuel level low? have you tried with a full tank to see if there is a difference? is there a manual fuel shutoff lever that may be partially pulled or loose?

My dad had a similar issue with his old Massy and found the manual fuel kill wasn't staying in the full on position, while driving up hill it would vibrate out and he would lose power.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
My BX25 had a similar issue. Does your model have seat safety switches? Try using your seatbelt or wire out the switches.

-Mac

snowblower1

Equipment
bx2350, loader, woods 52" rear snowblower
Aug 17, 2015
Manchester, MD
check both fuel filters, if the one under the mower is clogged you probably want to check the fuel sensor. I had to replace mine due to it rusting and clogging the filter. replacing the fuel sensor in the tank is a real pain.

Fredbussiere

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 28, 2016
Barrington,NH
If 1500 is like bx2200, there are two fuel filters.
My bx had same problem many times, replaced filters and it went away.
If you hear fuel pump it's probably good.
I suspect more bad fuel since your February filter replacements.
Do both filters again, those white inline fuel filters are a design flaw in my opinion.