Buying Used (almost new) Kubota BX1880. Need advice.

VerticalSteel

Aug 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hello All,

I have been reading this forum among others to educate myself for the purchase of a tractor. I appreciate all the good info that I've learned from this site. I am looking to buy either a BX1880, and am convinced that it would be more than enough tractor for my purposes based on what I have read, and discussions with another owner.

I know of a dealer near me selling a used 2019 BX1880 with 28 hours. It has a mower deck, but no FEL (which I definitely want to add). I have contacted the dealer and they confirmed that it does have loader valves installed. If I can get it for a couple thousand below MSRP on a new unit, do you think it would be a good idea? My concern is that I have never owned a tractor before, and am more than a little apprehensive about buying used and not having the support of my local Kubota Dealer, so I have a couple of questions about used acquisitions.

1. Would the warranty automatically transfer, or would I have to go through some steps in order to get the benefits of the original warranty?

2. How much would it typically cost to buy a FEL (LA344S) from the dealer, and do you think that they would be willing to educate me on attaching, removing, and operating the new attachment?

3. As a new tractor owner (prone to mistakes), would it possibly be better to go through the dealer, using the KTAC insurance in case I do something stupid (like roll the thing, etc.) requiring big repairs; or even just for continued educational support on the operation, additional attachment options, and the maintenance of the tractor.

4. If there are any other potential issues I might come across, or any suggestions you can give me regarding buying new vs used, I would be grateful.

Thank You.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I believe the warranty will transfer but check with the dealer. The FEL should not be a problem to add to the machine however it may be cheaper to do the 0% interest and buy new. You know your money situation so do what is best for you. The KTAC would be nice if you can buy it on a used tractor.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I would have no problem buying the tractor used - I've done it before. You may save a couple thousand on the tractor but you'd better check the price of the loader. I think the loader for my L2501 added $4000 to the price but they didn't charge for installation. It's pretty simple to remove most loaders from the tractor but I never do. I don't use it as a lawn mower either, though. You may drive it a bit at the dealer but most of your education will come from using the tractor at home. Then you learn which questions to ask. By all means check to see if the warranty will transfer but you should probably check the whole deal as a package price against the package price of the used one.

VerticalSteel

Aug 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the responses. Even if the loader cost 4 G's, the price after taxes of the used unit would be over two G's less than the quoted price for the new model. I still may be able to negotiate the dealer down some more or negotiate the addition of a couple more attachments. If I can get it close I would go new, but would love so save a couple grand as well.

D

Deleted member 43421

As others said, warranty should follow machine....check with your local dealer. With the tractor being so “new“, I would primarily check for evidence of rollover.

If you get FEL, I recommend two things right away:
1) Weight behind the rear axle (compensate for FEL weight) - heavy hitch w/ weights or ballast box
2) Weight on rear wheels (traction / stability) - wheel weights or liquid ballast

i recently purchased BX1870 with FEL. Even with wheel weights installed, the tractor was very tippy when bucket full of material. Also placed too much weight on front tires. I purchased drawbar (Titan) for suitcase weights, pulling currently pulling 200# off front of machine. I have room to add another 150# of weight. I liked the drawbar solution, doesn’t add much length to machine (tractor is stored in shed).

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
Warranty will follow the machine.
I purchased a 10-hour 3-month old BX23s from the dealer. The warranty is in my name.
One thing though..... I don't know what will happen because you are buying the loader at a later date than when the tractor was 1st sold.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It is not typical for the tractor to have the loader valves installed without having the FEL or another attachment to go with it such as the snowblower. If the loader valves are already installed then it is very likely that it had an FEL installed when it was new. Ask what happened to the FEL. I have a very suspecious mind so I am inclined to believe that they may be keeping it hoping to sell it to you or someone else after the tractor is sold.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm with armylifer on this and would suggest that you only buy the tractor with a FEL included (even if it is a new unit from the dealer). You have already stated that you want a FEL, now is the time to negotiate it in the deal and not incur additional "fitting fees etc." later. Then you will understand what, if any real saving you are making over a negotiated price of a new unit. Good luck with your final decision.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
BX pretty much always comes with loader valves, and it's not uncommon for the BX1880 to be basically configured as a big lawn mower (no FEL). I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came from the factory that way.

I agree that you should price the loader if you want one, before you buy the machine. Once you factor in financing and loader, it may be cheaper to just buy a new one. And I'd consider a 23HP model if you were buying a new one.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sometimes buying a used beast is a good deal,, IF ,, you buy it and use it for its intended purpose,, IE cutting grass, Now when you start adding stuff like FEL and what ever you might be interested in,, well then it starts to get iffy. The reason I say this is because I have done the same thing, and if you figure it out, odds are its going to cost you beau coup more in the long run. Were it me, and I am looking right now, I have learned from my mistakes. At 0% financing and rebates on attachments that are fitted for the little beasty, and come already set up, yeah thats the way to go. At least thats the way I am going to go on the new one if they ever get any more in! Many times trying to save a buck will cost you inthe long run,, Just MHO