Buying my first Tractor

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Well so it’s been a while since I’ve updated. I still haven’t got a tractor and after a few a few storms of life have blown by Im now back on the hunt. I believe I’m gonna get my name on the list for a l4060le. I have a few questions for you guys. As far as gravel driveway maintenance (which I'm hoping to get some side work from existing clients) I'm getting a top n tilt kit a box blade and I'm trying to decide between a landscape rake and a rear blade. My thinking is that either of them can pull gravel back up on the road but which one would be better for finish work. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. My salesman also has the BB1572 as his recommendation for the box blade.

Now for my second question is the hot topic of grapples. The salesman has a SGC1060 grapple on the list. I know that EA makes one of the the best grapples and their are many other good products out there. But i need it with the tractor and would love to have it bundled in the financing. With that in mind does Landpride make any other style of grapples and do yall have any experience with them? I'm planning on to start processing my own firewood and clearing and reclaiming some of my land. I'm thinking a dual lid grapple may be best, thoughts?

Also he has the RCR1872 cutter on there. Reviews? Problems? Heavy duty enough for side work?

thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Well so it’s been a while since I’ve updated. I still haven’t got a tractor and after a few a few storms of life have blown by Im now back on the hunt. I believe I’m gonna get my name on the list for a l4060le. I have a few questions for you guys. As far as gravel driveway maintenance (which I'm hoping to get some side work from existing clients) I'm getting a top n tilt kit a box blade and I'm trying to decide between a landscape rake and a rear blade. My thinking is that either of them can pull gravel back up on the road but which one would be better for finish work. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. My salesman also has the BB1572 as his recommendation for the box blade.

Now for my second question is the hot topic of grapples. The salesman has a SGC1060 grapple on the list. I know that EA makes one of the the best grapples and their are many other good products out there. But i need it with the tractor and would love to have it bundled in the financing. With that in mind does Landpride make any other style of grapples and do yall have any experience with them? I'm planning on to start processing my own firewood and clearing and reclaiming some of my land. I'm thinking a dual lid grapple may be best, thoughts?

Also he has the RCR1872 cutter on there. Reviews? Problems? Heavy duty enough for side work?

thanks in advance
I'd say the RCR1872 is all the cutter you should need. It's a medium duty machine that'll cut an occasional 2" sapling. If you're cutting more than that you need something besides a tractor. Just my opinion.

BTW, how much is the SGC1060? I don't have a third function yet, but that grapple is a candidate.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
I'd say the RCR1872 is all the cutter you should need. It's a medium duty machine that'll cut an occasional 2" sapling. If you're cutting more than that you need something besides a tractor. Just my opinion.

BTW, how much is the SGC1060? I don't have a third function yet, but that grapple is a candidate.
I'm in the fencing business and I'm usually adding pasture fence and reclaiming old fields, Im not going to be doing much land clearing, so I'm just wanting something that will hold up well.

Hes got the SGC1060 quoted at 3K, which seems a little high

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I'm in the fencing business and I'm usually adding pasture fence and reclaiming old fields, Im not going to be doing much land clearing, so I'm just wanting something that will hold up well.

[/QUOTE
FWIW…I have different series (rcf2784) than what you asked but mine has a slipper clutch and I find that very convenient. I am not sure it is better but I use the cutter very hard and so far no issues. I am not familiar with the model you asked about but my concern would be that your tractor most likely can back into things you shouldn’t and can very easily deform the rear guard. I’ve done it multiple times with Mx. I suspect your L would do as well. If you plan to do a lot brush cutting, if you ‘like to see if it can / get happy with the throttle’ id get the heavy one all over again.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Yeah, at that price it may sit there a while. Maybe he's setting it up to show a good discount.

Have you considered an SSQA auger? Some of them can be re-configured for a cement mixer. I haven't dug but one post hole in three years and I'd still like to have one.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Yeah, at that price it may sit there a while. Maybe he's setting it up to show a good discount.

Have you considered an SSQA auger? Some of them can be re-configured for a cement mixer. I haven't dug but one post hole in three years and I'd still like to have one.
I haven’t. For the large jobs I sub it out to a fellow with and post driver and skid steer.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio

I found my dealer’s prices to be a bit on the high side as well for implements so I just got the tractor/loader and sourced the 3rd function and grapple elsewhere for some decent savings.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
I found my dealer’s prices to be a bit on the high side as well for implements so I just got the tractor/loader and sourced the 3rd function and grapple elsewhere for some decent savings.
My dealer also carries dirt dog so they may have some cheaper options

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Here’s an update, I went to the dealer today and he had a dirt dog grapple daggr60, that was pretty cool. It’s a little cheaper than the lp and it had dual lids. The bottom times we’re also longer than a regular root rake. I think that’s the one for me. It was also nice to sit on the l4060le again, it just felt like areally good fit.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

thanks in advance

It would appear (like so many others) that you are a captive of dealer financing.
Dealer financing will likely limit your dealer provided attachment options to Landpride equipment.
Landpride is high quality equipment.
Landpride is owned by Kubota Corp!

I am a HUGE fan of Everything Attachments equipment!

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
A big part of my calculus was "free money" from Kubota. Financed over 84 months at 0% APR that $4K price premium works out to $47 per month - $59 per month at $5K. I can drop that much on one bad day at the golf course :p:p
As of this morning, 4/13/22, paying cash is even better than free money.

With inflation at 8%, converting a pile of paper say $50,000 into a tractor worth $50,000 ,is worth 8% more than it will be in a few months, or worse a year or more. The tractor will hold its value.
Now is the worst time to have your money sitting in cash.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trailer, you can always get a bigger truck and/or trailer, but to get started most dealers will deliver a new tractor for either nothing, or cheap.
Hopefully buying Kubota means it won't need to go back to the dealer often, if ever.

Reactions: 1 users