Buying my first Tractor

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
So I found a 2003 kioti lk 3054 pretty cheap. Does anyone know anything about this model. He says it’s got 740 hours on it and that it’s a kubota engine in it. It also come with a bush hog. The deal is almost too good to be true. Any thoughts on how much this is worth? Thanks in advance

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
What is pretty cheap? What make and model of bush hog? What is the condition of the tractor? Service records? Look at Tractor House, Machinery Pete, Equipment Trader etc to get some idea of the value. And if it is too cheap because it is damaged or abused?

This says it is not a Kubota engine. https://tractorsinfo.net/kioti-lk3054/

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
What is pretty cheap? What make and model of bush hog? What is the condition of the tractor? Service records? Look at Tractor House, Machinery Pete, Equipment Trader etc to get some idea of the value. And if it is too cheap because it is damaged or abused?

This says it is not a Kubota engine. https://tractorsinfo.net/kioti-lk3054/
No idea on the bush hog model. He’s only asking $3300. And it’s only a 158 mile drive.
74419003-75C8-4D28-BEF2-52A10DE9E928.jpeg

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Sorry it been so long for me to update, I’ve been very busy with work and family. Turns out the used kioti was a scam. He was asking for a 100 dollar deposit but wouldn’t be available for two week. But he needed the deposit because he was getting so many bites. So now I’m back looking to purchase new. I did speak with a landscaping company owner the other day at a job and they bought a l2501 and he says they love it. So that was nice talking to someone with firsthand experience with an L series and not just a salesman.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Before giving you any advice, can you make some comments on what you believe your intended uses are? Are you going to add a bush hog? If so, what is the height/density of material? What tasks do you intend to accommodate with loader? Any plans/uses for a grapple? If so, what will you be lifting? Pallet fork attachment? How heavy are pallets?

Admittedly, some of these questions may be hard to answer without ever having had a tractor but they can help others to guide you in the right direction.

Also, how close is "quality" dealer - and what brand tractors do they carry?

Finally, I would try to go sit on if not drive a couple of models that you may consider. An L2501 is a fine tractor and will handle a LOT of chores at a good price/value. I found that I didn't care for the treadle pedal - particularly when I was trying to twist around and back up to an implement. Lots of good tractors out there!!

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Before giving you any advice, can you make some comments on what you believe your intended uses are? Are you going to add a bush hog? If so, what is the height/density of material? What tasks do you intend to accommodate with loader? Any plans/uses for a grapple? If so, what will you be lifting? Pallet fork attachment? How heavy are pallets?

Admittedly, some of these questions may be hard to answer without ever having had a tractor but they can help others to guide you in the right direction.

Also, how close is "quality" dealer - and what brand tractors do they carry?

Finally, I would try to go sit on if not drive a couple of models that you may consider. An L2501 is a fine tractor and will handle a LOT of chores at a good price/value. I found that I didn't care for the treadle pedal - particularly when I was trying to twist around and back up to an implement. Lots of good tractors out there!!
I’m planning on using it for general chores around the homestead ( firewood, Bushhogging as we say in ga, and maintaining gravel driveway at my dads as well as mine). I’m also looking at doing some side work with it as well. I own a small fencing company and am looking to also pick up some side work with existing clients to help it earn its keep. Small grading jobs and pothole repair what was I had in mind. Thanks for your input.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I’m planning on using it for general chores around the homestead ( firewood, Bushhogging as we say in ga, and maintaining gravel driveway at my dads as well as mine). I’m also looking at doing some side work with it as well. I own a small fencing company and am looking to also pick up some side work with existing clients to help it earn its keep. Small grading jobs and pothole repair what was I had in mind. Thanks for your input.
If you're not driving stuff off the PTO much then all the standard L series will pretty much do the same job - same frame, similar weight, similar traction. So for pulling graders they all work the same, and although the higher HP L series have a more powerful loader, I think that's the L4701 only, and not many people buy that.

Also, if you're looking to do jobs for hire, you'll need to be able to trailer it. An L2501 is small/light enough to sensibly trailer without having to buy a very large tow rig and trailer.

Do you need a cab? Will you snow blow or mow (these require quite a bit of PTO HP)? The L2501 is limited in the size of brush hog it can run, but realistically even the higher HP L models can't really lift a much bigger mower anyway. To do more you'd go up to an MX, but that's a big tractor on a trailer.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Well, from that brief description, I would say that you should look at, sit on, potentially drive a Kubota L2501 and a Kioti CK2610. I think these two tractors would compete with one another and may be on the larger side of what you think you may need. If finances allow, I think it's better to error on the larger side. Look for a quality dealer and go visit them. Check out the product (the tractor) as well as the vibe you get from the dealership. These should play into your decision. Both of these suggested models stay under the 25HP limit so neither will have a DPF or emissions equipment to worry about. Either would be very capable to perform the tasks you mentioned - and a lot more. I found that there's a lot of youtube videos available - some good, some bad, but all relatively educational for the newcomer.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
I’ve sat on a 2501 and a 3901 neither of them had a loader. But I test drove a l4701 and it sold me on kubota as well as the dealer support and resale value. I don’t plan on doing a ton of mowing so I the the 2501 will do, and not having the dpf is very attractive to me as well. I have a lawnmower for house so that’s not an issue. I did get a quote on the L2501 hst tractor with loader on R4s filled with water and anti freeze and they weld two hooks on the quick attach bucket for $22,600. This dealer is 120miles from me has them in stock and says he’ll deliver to me. Does this sound like a fair deal? All my local dealers are waiting on loaders to come in.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
and as far as a trailer goes I’ve got a 18ft tandem axle (3.5ton axles) with a 2ft dovetail that should handle it just fine. I may be cutting it close with fluid in the tires though.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you want it soon, that's a great deal. Check the list price on the build site, but it sounds a bit below list to me, and if it's available now that's better than you'll get anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Looks good to me except for the tax, but that’s probably not negotiable. ;)

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Thanks for all your help, after discussing with the wife, she thinks we need the l3901. She said “you’ll look for every opportunity to be on that tractor and I don’t you need to be going slow as molasses, get the most hp you can in that frame size.” What’s the verdict on doing box blade and driveway scraping work with an l2501. Does more hp make it that much faster for non-pto work?

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’ve had a few occasions that it would be nice to go faster working on gravel roads/driveway with my grader/scraper uphill. Not really a big issue for me. Also, you can be limited by traction eventually.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for all your help, after discussing with the wife, she thinks we need the l3901. She said “you’ll look for every opportunity to be on that tractor and I don’t you need to be going slow as molasses, get the most hp you can in that frame size.” What’s the verdict on doing box blade and driveway scraping work with an l2501. Does more hp make it that much faster for non-pto work?
You go faster by moving/removing more material per pass. I was surprised when I stalled my L3901 early on. It wasn't the last time that happened. You can generate traction with ballast but you can't generate torque. More HP and weight will allow you to work faster with both PTO and ground engaging implements. The L3901 gives you 36.3/23.9 = 52% more net horsepower. With proper ballasting you can get that increase on the ground and unless you are just pulling hay rides you will work faster.

Dan

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I went with the L2501 and loaded the tires. THAT made a huge difference. My buddy has the same tractor without loaded tires. I can do in 2WD what takes him 4WD. I have graded my driveway, spread and leveled 45 yards of sand in my barnyard after scraping all the good black topsoil off and moving it for a garden. That thing is a workhorse. I like the 3901 but love the fact that the 2501 is very fuel efficient and you can idle it forever as it doesn’t have the emissions crap on it.