buying advice for B6200? (with pics!)

mcbrown

May 24, 2016
Dover Plains, NY
Hi all, total newb here. I'm in the market for a compact tractor, and happened to spot a B6200 for sale locally. I'd been thinking about something newer and a bit more powerful, but honestly the B6200 is probably fine for my needs. Plus this is my first tractor, and since I'll probably buy the wrong thing the first time I might as well spend less money on my mistakes. :)

I have a couple of questions for the Kubota veterans:
  1. Are there any particular issues to look out for or ask about on this specific model?
  2. There's no front loader, which is probably the only reason I didn't impulse-buy it already. :) Some people here have mentioned aftermarket loaders for this series of Kubotas... any suggested brands/builders I can look at? (Cost of this might be a deal-breaker so I'm trying to do my research up front.)
  3. There's some rust on the frame (see pic). Is that to be expected on these little guys, or to be avoided?
  4. The front right tire looks pretty sketchy (see pic) though the rest look okay. Where do you guys get your replacement tires? I'm having the darnedest time finding them in the right size online...

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

Last edited:

mcbrown

May 24, 2016
Dover Plains, NY
There's no front loader, which is probably the only reason I didn't impulse-buy it already. :) Some people here have mentioned aftermarket loaders for this series of Kubotas... any suggested brands/builders I can look at? (Cost of this might be a deal-breaker so I'm trying to do my research up front.)
Ok, well I just answered this myself by noticing the sticky at the top of this forum... and I guess I'd be looking at up to $3000? That would definitely put the total cost at a level where it makes a lot less sense vs. some newer models available with loaders.

mcbrown

May 24, 2016
Dover Plains, NY
Just to clarify, I haven't given up on getting a loader at a price where the whole package would make sense, so I would still appreciate any inspection/buying tips for the B6200. :)

Chris H.

Equipment
B2910/LA402, ZD326, F3060, F3680
Apr 26, 2016
SE MN USA
I have owned a B6200 with HST since about 1999, when I bought it well-used off a Deere dealers bargain lot. I think it is about a 1984 model and it looked terrible (still does) due to hard use from a local grounds service company. I still use it because it just wont die, but it has been replaced with a B2910 with a loader.
One thing to consider if you must have a loader is that it has manual (no power) steering. Seems that I have seen a power steering add-on kit, but in stock form you will not be happy with any load on the front wheels. Mine had a front mounted blower, and I ended up replacing the steering gear because it flat wore out from the weight. I did move the blower to the rear and it has lived much happier since.
I ran a 60" belly mower, and plenty of power for that as well as a 4' brush cutter and a 48" snowblower.
It is a great little tractor, but I would also never consider the gear version instead of the hydrostatic. That is probably more my need/preference, but for snow blowing and mowing I can adjust ground speed with the HST pedal and keep the engine operating at optimal speed. I will never go back to gear trans, but there are likely some uses that it would be better suited for.
I haven't paid much attention to what these are going for now, but I would guess it in the $2500-$3500 range? You can replace tires, but installing tubes will get you several more years of use... its not like you are going 75mph down a crowded highway. The frame rust looks cosmetic to me, it could be cleaned and sealed if it is bothersome.

All in all, I loved my B6200 because it is what I could afford at the time to get done what I needed to do. It was my first diesel, my first hydro, my first 4x4 and I will never be able to live without any of those features ever again!