Buying Advice - First Tractor

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Hi all. I've just purchased a new property and it's 14 acres of cleared pasture. We're going to need something to keep the growth down so it stays that way.

I've been eyeing the BX2370 and I'm not sure if it's too small for my needs. I have about 12 acres of pasture to cut (it's already cleared and has been used for hay the past 10 years. So it's just maintenance at this point), and I have a 1/8 mile driveway that I'll need to flatten every once in a while. I'll also need it for just general tractor stuff. Flipping compost piles, building a small berm for my shooting lane, etc.

Any suggestions?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
It's easy for me to spend your money, but I would shoot for a B2650 much larger frame and way more ground clearance! Quick detach bucket to switch out implements. 300lbs more lift capacity.

Pat

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Pat is providing good advice, I love my BX25 but think it would be a little small for your land too. In the end budget and available time is what is needed to decide. If you have the time then a BX will get it done if not bigger will help, then if budget doesn't allow it is still better to have a small tractor than none. My little BX amazes me all the time with what it can do. I have found it to be a great value, actually think it has paid for itself over paying to have work done or even renting as needed.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
I would try to find a 40 to 50 hp with a FEL. It will pull a 6' cutter and you will find many uses for the FEL. 4X4 better yet.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I have 5 acres and the BX, in my mind was too small for me. I wound up with a B2320 which is just perfect for my needs.
However...if I had 14 acres I would definitely consider moving up to the L series tractor. If you start comparing prices you will see that the L, with the current rebates may be the right fit.
Go to the dealer and look, sit on the machines and drive them around. See what each machine can handle as far as implements.
You will be surprised at the difference between machines.
When in doubt, go bigger.
And just this last weekend I added dirt to my shooting lane berm. I'm clearing a field for another out building.

Last edited:

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
I was a first time tractor buyer one month ago. I have 5 acres, 1/3 mile driveway, lot clearing, some mowing. I started looking at the BX, considered the B series because it was bigger and bought the L2501. With the rebates it was less than the B2601. I would highly recommend the HST and SSQA loader. I have only 20 hours in the last month and have yet to to wish I had bought smaller, but at times it would have been nice to have a larger, heavier tractor. Good luck in your search. OTT forum people helped me in my search and provide great insight.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Sounds like you will be doing a lot of mowing. I would suggest a L2501 (based off the tractor you listed and assuming it is your budget target). You could go bigger but again I don't know your budget.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As much as I think the BX platform is a true wonder, in this case as said I would opt for big B or the L series with a FEL , hydro static drive and maybe a cab,,thats just me. It's easy to spend somebody else's money.
Though keep in mind that once you build you will need to mow around the house, and your better half might like to run the machine as well, and the L while a super tractor wont give you that latitude of mowing around the flower bed. Yes you can do it but is it worth the hassle.
How ever if you do plan on setting up a feed plot or putting ina fair sized garden then the L might be your best choice.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Thanks guys. I just spoke with the dealer and I think I'm going to go with the B2301 instead. I'm looking at certain package deals which include trailers which is why my options are limited. I don't already own a trailer, but I'd like one. So having it thrown in really helps.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Best choice in my opinion. BX is just to small and the L to big for what you need. Lets see the new Tractor when you get it!

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
For 14 acres, I would consider a larger L or a MX. I bought a B2650 and I have 5 acres. I sometimes wish I have bought bigger.

To be honest, take in consideration what you want to do. It sounded that you may be interested in a rotary cutter to keep the growth down. If that's the case, figure out the size cutter you want and then buy a tractor to run that. With that much area I would at least want a 72" cutter. With a 2301, I think you will be only limited to a 48" cutter.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
Finally decided on the B2301HSD with FEL, box blade, rotary cutter and hay spike. Had them add front and rear quick detach. It's getting up to the higher end o four budget but it should be everything I need for at least the next few years.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Hi all. I've just purchased a new property and it's 14 acres of cleared pasture. We're going to need something to keep the growth down so it stays that way.

I've been eyeing the BX2370 and I'm not sure if it's too small for my needs. I have about 12 acres of pasture to cut (it's already cleared and has been used for hay the past 10 years. So it's just maintenance at this point), and I have a 1/8 mile driveway that I'll need to flatten every once in a while. I'll also need it for just general tractor stuff. Flipping compost piles, building a small berm for my shooting lane, etc.

Any suggestions?
just want to give you fair notice... when you come here & ask these guys for help.....

you end up with a tractor very quickly. :D

they know how to help you find them & they know how to spend your money.

the folks here are awesome.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
just want to give you fair notice... when you come here & ask these guys for help.....

you end up with a tractor very quickly. :D

they know how to help you find them & they know how to spend your money.

the folks here are awesome.
Haha luckily I was already partially through with the buying process, I just wanted advice from someone other than the dealer. We were approved up to an L3301 HST but I didn't want to spend that much.

Reading this forum I did find out that the Kubota insurance was actually good, but I've decided on my Farm Bureau insurance instead since it has a $100 deductible.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'm going to go with the B2301 instead.
If you can get the HST rather than gear model. With 14 acres you probably won't be backing up too much, but when you need to get around and in and out of obstacles or when you are doing repetitive work you will like the HST much better....in my opinion.
I picked up a B2320 this year with FEL, 60" box blade and 60" PTO finish mower for under $16K.
Shop around.

Last edited:

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
If you can get the HST rather than gear model. With 14 acres you probably won't be backing up too much, but when you need to get around and in and out of obstacles or when you are doing repetitive work you will like the HST much better....in my opinion.
I picked up a B2301 this year with FEL, 60" box blade and 60" PTO finish mower for under $16K.
Shop around.
The model I'm getting is the B2301HSD. I assume that's the hydrostatic drive model?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
B2301 and 2601 are all hydros! The only B left in a gear is the old B2320DT which is still available from Kubota new.

Pat

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
For 14 acres, I would consider a larger L or a MX. I bought a B2650 and I have 5 acres. I sometimes wish I have bought bigger.

To be honest, take in consideration what you want to do. It sounded that you may be interested in a rotary cutter to keep the growth down. If that's the case, figure out the size cutter you want and then buy a tractor to run that. With that much area I would at least want a 72" cutter. With a 2301, I think you will be only limited to a 48" cutter.
I agree completely...go bigger. L or MX series . Buy the right one first.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I'm in a similar situation and would have gotten the L grand (cab) series if it would have fit in my garage. Instead I opted for the 2650. Just makes it.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
The larger L and MX series just weren't in the budget for me. I needed to add the trailer and attachments to even make the purchase worth it. I don't have much use for a tractor that only has a FEL. So throwing in the attachments I needed drove the price up.