Buying a UTV

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Wife is interested in a UTV to carry stuff around the property. Was initially looking at electric ones, but striking out on availability. Best value seems to be the Polaris Ranger, but a local dealer says Polaris hasn't made any available in quite a quite. They seem to be pressing their new Kinetic model with more performance and lithium ion batteries but about $7k more.

The same dealer has a Kubota X900 diesel for $19. This is less than the near $20k for a Gator 6x4 diesel but less than the usual $16.5k for an X900. They obviously ordered it with a bunch of add-ons.

In checking the X900, it seems about the best with HST instead of CVT drive and only 1.5 k$ more than the Ranger. Think it's 4wd. Haven't been able to fully verify this. 4wd is a must. The electric Gator is only 2wd.

Don't want gas ones around. I have NOTHING with gas now but the cars and pickup. Don't want to mess with having fuel containers around. Got Ryobi mowing equipment, even the ZT with batteries.

What do you have?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I'm currently working on a trade-in deal for a 23 Cam-Am Defender Limited and trading my 19 Defender cab. I use it for just about everything from plowing to working on trails and hunting. Just an awesome machine.
DSC01114.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I bought a Ranger 900xp new back in 2014. It has been nothing but pleasure to own and don't know how I ever got by without it. I haul over 20 face cords out of the woods with it every year. I've only lubed and changed oil and filter on it as needed. It is a true work horse.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a 2017 Midsize Polaris Ranger. It sips fuel. In my area, I easily made it street legal. It holds about 10 gallons. I use about 1 gallon a month, so getting fuel isn't an issue for me.

I looked at electric, but they were slow in 2017. Diesels are slow as well. They don't have to be, it's just that's the way they were made. The new EV will probably be fast, but more expensive.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I've been looking myself for a UTV and have narrowed to down to....Polaris Ranger. I considered Can-Am Defender as well, along with the Kubota. Decided against the Kubota as it was diesel, seems like Polaris has a much bigger dealer presence than Can-Am. I was definitely more interested in a 'utility' model vs the 'sport' or 'crossover' versions.

It seems like Polaris has a large selection of various trim levels in their line, pretty much something for everyone. My biggest decision seemed to be which engine (570 vs 1000) and which options package. My personal research indicated that power steering was one of the better, more commonly appreciated options, followed by roof & windshield. Generally, I felt that I'd need to spend $20K to be happy with my purchase.

If I ever decide to get one I'll post some pics. Good luck with your search! :) (y)

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I recently bought a Ranger Crew - the 1000 Premium model and I LOVE it. Bought it in part for the towing capacity as I use it with a trailer to move brush to my burn pile. I also own a Sportsman 570 and I really appreciate the larger engine in the Ranger. I have a roof but not a windshield which I will fix that when I take it in for the first service. Running it at minus 5 with no windshield is no fun. I don't have power steering and don't feel the need for it. Very easy to handle and maneuver.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I "studied" these about a year or two ago and came to the conclusion the Kawasaki Mule was the best value or bang for the buck. Many will go a lot faster but I always viewed high speed capabilities as unnecessary. I like to take my time and enjoy the outdoors. If you want to commit the funds the Kubota is the Rolls Royce so to speak. Good luck.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a Kawasaki mule. It is gas, not the fastest UTV, but a great reputation for durability and as a work machine.

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
It’s gas but, I have the Honda Pioneer 520. It’s perfect for my recreational and property uses. And, with it’s small size, it fits anywhere.

AB98293C-B3F8-487A-BCB1-17A59B88B863.jpeg

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
There's definitely some positive aspects to the trail-sized SXS's available! (y)

jkrubi12

Equipment
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
@Rdrcr, after seeing your Honda Pioneer 520 I had to go back and re-assess my thoughts on a UTV. That Honda sure is a nice package! Do you know if it's made in US or Japan? Do you have any opinions on attributes or shortcomings after ownership? Yours looks like it has plenty of add-ons too, very nice package! TIA (y)

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
@Rdrcr, after seeing your Honda Pioneer 520 I had to go back and re-assess my thoughts on a UTV. That Honda sure is a nice package! Do you know if it's made in US or Japan? Do you have any opinions on attributes or shortcomings after ownership? Yours looks like it has plenty of add-ons too, very nice package! TIA (y)
I really really like the Pioneer 520. It's been great and gets a surprising amount of use...much more than I originally anticipated.

I believe it is manufactured here in the USA.

Here's my build thread detailing my thoughts and modifications I've added to the P520 (I'm almost done, lol);
However, you may need to create an account to view it. Great forum BTW!

Here's another useful thread;

This thread isn't mine but, I do participate and share some of my opinions and modifications.

Mike

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The Honda SxS is made with pride in Timmonsville, SC.

Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Thanks, guys. Might look at both the Kawasaki and the Honda. Can siphon fuel from our pickup and wouldn't need to keep a separate gas container around. Got some gas oil left over from when we still had gas stuff, M1 5w30. EVs seem to be so hard to find and are pricey. Diesels even more so.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Speaking of Honda... depending on your needs/use cases, you may also consider the Honda Pioneer 1000-4. It is an industry unique (yet very popular) SXS in a couple of ways. It has a pretty large utility bed in the back that does pivot/dump manually. However, it also has two seats that fold down flat to make that bed. Need more room? Just fold the two rear seats up and now it is a 4-seater. The other thing that Honda has done is to equip it with a very modern "manual" transmission - the activation of which is all automatic. While it uses a clutch and gears, shifting is commanded by the computer. It has proven to be VERY reliable. No more belt-driven CVT, but a robust manual transmission. It is really unique and rewarding to drive.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wife is interested in a UTV to carry stuff around the property. Was initially looking at electric ones, but striking out on availability. Best value seems to be the Polaris Ranger, but a local dealer says Polaris hasn't made any available in quite a quite. They seem to be pressing their new Kinetic model with more performance and lithium ion batteries but about $7k more.

The same dealer has a Kubota X900 diesel for $19. This is less than the near $20k for a Gator 6x4 diesel but less than the usual $16.5k for an X900. They obviously ordered it with a bunch of add-ons.

In checking the X900, it seems about the best with HST instead of CVT drive and only 1.5 k$ more than the Ranger. Think it's 4wd. Haven't been able to fully verify this. 4wd is a must. The electric Gator is only 2wd.

Don't want gas ones around. I have NOTHING with gas now but the cars and pickup. Don't want to mess with having fuel containers around. Got Ryobi mowing equipment, even the ZT with batteries.

What do you have?
I love my RTV-X1100C cab model. I use it on my property as a little dump truck to haul gravel up to my bush roads. I load it with my B2620 loader.
I also do lots of trail riding with it. The wife and I enjoy it way more than our atv's. I even tried Polaris RZR's and Can Am turbo 1000's and I'll take the Kubota any day. Better built and quieter.

But if you want to sport trail ride at speed.....nobody with an atv or side by side will want to ride with you, LOL It is slow. But I have no problem doing 25 MPH all day on the trails.

inspector-steve

Equipment
L6060, M6-111, 333g, 315, S-45, 2038R
Dec 19, 2022
Middle TN
we have a regular cab can am defender HD-10, with heat and cab, power windows and wiper. Its been a work horse and with 100 horse power she will climb like a billy goat

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I "studied" these about a year or two ago and came to the conclusion the Kawasaki Mule was the best value or bang for the buck. Many will go a lot faster but I always viewed high speed capabilities as unnecessary. I like to take my time and enjoy the outdoors. If you want to commit the funds the Kubota is the Rolls Royce so to speak. Good luck.
Mule SX 4x4? How does it hold going downhill without the brake?