Buying a B2301 with attachment and recommendations

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Greetings everyone and thank you for a very knowledgeable bunch. So this will be my first real tractor. My property is over an acre of grass, woods, brush, some uneven patches and a decent slope in the rear of property. The tractor will be used for mowing, snow removal of property with a long driveway , a few neighbors properties and clean up. I am currently running a JD X320 with 48"mmm and a 44" snow blower. It's been a great little garden tractor. I just want to be able to do more on my property.
Hopefully I will be getting my tractor soon, just trying to find the right deal.

1.Since I have had a mmm but getting bored with it, what are your thoughts on a rear finish mower versus a mmm. Can you drive in reverse with mmm mower?

2. Wheel spacers, should I get them and if so will I need front and rear? How are the factory installed style? Or go aftermarket?

3. Heavy Hitch Bar, BX Expanded Piranha Bar or the EA Wicked bar?

4. A Grapple or those new Bone Crusher style without the hydraulics? Seeing if anyone has used the Bone Crusher style before?

5. How are the Land Pride snow pushers?

6. How much weight do you recommend for rear ballast? Considering a rear weight bracket since it will make things easier in the winter for the size for turning?

Thanks again for the good advice so far and stay safe everyone.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to OTT!

Nice tractor choice.
1. You should look at a RFM. They’ve intrigued me, but my mowing is tight and steep in some spots. If I was more open, a RFM would be a serious candidate. You can mow in reverse.
2. Spacers can provide some room for tire chains, and improve stability on slopes. I’ve never had a need for either reason, but if I were, I’d probably roll them into the initial order.
3. BxPanded Piranha Tooth bar. Second addition to my BX. Never taken it off.
4. Can’t speak to it, but it seems most here have grapples.
5. I have a front mount blower. We can get ALOT of snow. Not sure I could move a big snow with a pusher, but many here have them.
6. I would shoot for 4-500 pounds. A compact ballast is handy, but many will use another implement to use front and back. I often use my box blade. It’s not as heavy as I could do, but it’s nice to have it on to use.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I must ask you to think about this purchase. The tractor you are looking at with the front end loader, 3rd function hydraulics, mmm, 48 in snow blower and mount is going to run you over $27000 plus a grapple. It will replace a JD X320 in the $2500 dollar + snow blower range. For one acre of lawn.

If one acre of lawn has enough trees work to justify a grapple then you would not want a RFM unless you like to look over your shoulder to trim all the time.

It just seams like an expensive hobby. If the JD services your needs why go to all the expense?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It just seams like an expensive hobby. If the JD services your needs why go to all the expense?
Big - I can’t disagree with your assessment, but there’s some things a sub- or compact tractor can do that we have done by brute force ourselves over many years with a garden tractor.

An FEL is a good example, or a box blade to rejuvenate a stone driveway.
I had a JD425 garden tractor for years. It had a front blade, but a resurface of our driveway was a 2 day job, and I couldn’t adjust profile like I can with the BX. A 20 ton load of stone and re-profiling is a morning now....

I have also had some major house work done here, and an excavator is a common sight.... I can do yard grading/ restoration that the JD wasn’t capable of. That alone has saved me $3-5k in contractor costs in last 3 years.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Tractortime - after re-reading your tractor requirements I’d almost say you should consider looking at a BX series or John Deere 1025R. You’ve got a pretty small property to maintain (1 acre).

Check out the YouTube channel I sent you “tractor time with tim”. That 1025R is incredibly capable and He shows many tasks he’s accomplished.

The main reason I went to a B series is for the increased ground clearance, ability to handle bigger implements and most importantly the slightly greater loader capability. If I were in your shoes, I’d be buying a JD 1025R. I absolutely love those machines.

I’d also stick with the MMM over the RFM unless you’re mowing acres of pretty open area.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
7. The new R14 tires or the R4's. The turf tires just do not provide Alla round traction.
Thank you
Greetings everyone and thank you for a very knowledgeable bunch. So this will be my first real tractor. My property is over an acre of grass, woods, brush, some uneven patches and a decent slope in the rear of property. The tractor will be used for mowing, snow removal of property with a long driveway , a few neighbors properties and clean up. I am currently running a JD X320 with 48"mmm and a 44" snow blower. It's been a great little garden tractor. I just want to be able to do more on my property.
Hopefully I will be getting my tractor soon, just trying to find the right deal.

1.Since I have had a mmm but getting bored with it, what are your thoughts on a rear finish mower versus a mmm. Can you drive in reverse with mmm mower?

2. Wheel spacers, should I get them and if so will I need front and rear? How are the factory installed style? Or go aftermarket?

3. Heavy Hitch Bar, BX Expanded Piranha Bar or the EA Wicked bar?

4. A Grapple or those new Bone Crusher style without the hydraulics? Seeing if anyone has used the Bone Crusher style before?

5. How are the Land Pride snow pushers?

6. How much weight do you recommend for rear ballast? Considering a rear weight bracket since it will make things easier in the winter for the size for turning?

Thanks again for the good advice so far and stay safe everyone.
I must ask you to think about this purchase. The tractor you are looking at with the front end loader, 3rd function hydraulics, mmm, 48 in snow blower and mount is going to run you over $27000 plus a grapple. It will replace a JD X320 in the $2500 dollar + snow blower range. For one acre of lawn.

If one acre of lawn has enough trees work to justify a grapple then you would not want a RFM unless you like to look over your shoulder to trim all the time.

I have many projects that I have put off way to long that my garden tractor can not accomplish. The garden tractor just does not cut the mustard in the winter anymore. Steep icy driveway and keeping up with snow removal on my property and my neighbors is not enjoyable anymore. I do burn a lot of fuel just mowing. The diesel will just be more efficient and more useful for new and future projects.
The B2301 comes in cheaper so for than a 1025R. I like the 3 speed hydrostat options. I liked how the tractor felt when operating. The BX and the 1025 just did not do much for me.I know it seems like a lot for so little. There was not difference in price between the BX and B series. Plus I would rather to have much than not enough tractor. The. Other reason, we might also be moving to a larger property in the future. Would rather have the good all around tractor now when the price seems good right now. I have always wanted a tractor for the yardwork and to help around the neighborhood as well.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
I do not plan on running a snow blower. The plan is for a snow pusher. I have no desire to run a larger snow blower.
The financing is great and the difference in price over the 60 months is not much difference between the BX and B series. It makes more sense to get the better tractor since I plan on keeping it for a long time. I do not feel like trading in tarctors for the move to a bigger property down the road.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was asking a question. When you add in information the questions that you ask in the beginning make more sense. I was trying to get you to listen to yourself. I just looked at the large amount of money and it made me wonder, why so much tractor for a small area of land? It makes no never mind to me which tractor you buy but I have watched the customer walked into a dealer to buy an inexpensive car and drive out in a Cadillac because the salesman pushed them in that direction.

Last edited:

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
I was asking a question. When you add in information the questions that you ask in the beginning make more sense. I was trying to get you to listen to yourself. I just looked at the large amount of money and it made me wonder, why so much tractor for a small area of land? It makes no never mind to me which tractor you buy but I have watched the customer walked into a dealer to buy an inexpensive car and drive out in a Cadillac because the sales manpushed them in that direction.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
The projects that need to get done a regular basis can not be done with garden tractor. I also am going to clean up the woods and brsuh every weekend by hand or with chainsaw. Would rather use the proper machine to keep our property nice. I am tired of being the horsepower around the house. Just trying to do my homework and get some honest answers. We are not on a city lot and are in the country. So a tractor is needed. I wish I thought of this when we first moved here. I need a 4 wheel drive tractor for the snow removal. Long driveway! I also help my neighbors out and this would accomplish a lot things to do without hiring contractors.
The garden tractor is fine to now but can not accomplish anything else. I have priced out X series but they end up being the same price as a scut! Without a loader. I would rather new versus used since I have not found one close by with want I want. I wish there tractors were less expensive but they are not. This tool would be a great investment to keep curb appeal and for our future larger property.
I appreciate the too much tractor part now but not many options out there right now.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
The green is what I need to maintain and tire of me being the manual labor.
The driveway is over 100 feet with slope and the backyard is on the slope.
I should have bought a scut a long time ago and finally will be soon.
So there is a big need for one!
I have priced out JD, KIOTI and Kubota. The later has the best dealer so far! Plus I liked their product. Why I came here for some answers.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tractor time- the B2601 I looked at yesterday had R14’s on it. First I have seen them.
R3 (turf) or R4 (industrial) is a common debate. Many say R3 have better traction than R4 and take tire chains better. R1’s (Ag/bar tread) is another option, but can have problems marking up a lawn.

I have R4’s and have been happy with them. I need to run chains in the winter, but chains would be needed for any type tires for me. Over the years, I’ve had 1, 3, and 4’s.

R4’s do have a higher load rating than R3.
I honestly would consider R14 if I were buying. I don’t believe I would consider R3 either.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Tractor time- the B2601 I looked at yesterday had R14’s on it. First I have seen them.
R3 (turf) or R4 (industrial) is a common debate. Many say R3 have better traction than R4 and take tire chains better. R1’s (Ag/bar tread) is another option, but can have problems marking up a lawn.

I have R4’s and have been happy with them. I need to run chains in the winter, but chains would be needed for any type tires for me. Over the years, I’ve had 1, 3, and 4’s.

R4’s do have a higher load rating than R3.
I honestly would consider R14 if I were buying. I don’t believe I would consider R3 either.
Thank you for the tips.
Looks like the B's have the choice of R14's or R4's. Just wonderinghow they would do in the snow/ice. We do get a lot snow up here.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
If you want a bit more tractor than a BX, more stability, lift, and ground clearance, the B2301 gives you that at not much, if any more $, than a Deere 1025.
Between turf and R4, turf tires give better traction in snow and ice and are easier on the turf. Neither are good in mud with the R4’s maybe being a little less bad. :)
The mower decks are so easy to put on and off I’d do the 60” deck over a cumbersome pull behind mower any day. 60” will be easier to use than the smaller 54. There are some other advantages to the 60” as well and it’s only a little more.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
If you want a bit more tractor than a BX, more stability, lift, and ground clearance, the B2301 gives you that at not much, if any more $, than a Deere 1025.
Between turf and R4, turf tires give better traction in snow and ice and are easier on the turf. Neither are good in mud with the R4’s maybe being a little less bad. :)
The mower decks are so easy to put on and off I’d do the 60” deck over a cumbersome pull behind mower any day. 60” will be easier to use than the smaller 54. There are some other advantages to the 60” as well and it’s only a little more.
Good to know on the mud factor. I did not have much luck with my turf tires for any traction at all on my 320.
I wonder if the R14 will be the best of both worlds.
How would the 60" be that much better for the mmm? Even with uneven terrain?
Thanks for advice 👍🏻

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Good to know on the mud factor. I did not have much luck with my turf tires for any traction at all on my 320.
I wonder if the R14 will be the best of both worlds.
How would the 60" be that much better for the mmm? Even with uneven terrain?
Thanks for advice 👍🏻
I keep finding that the 1025 is still more expensive on the quotes for both the BX or theB series which is odd since the B seems to have more bang for the buck.

Has anyone heard anything for the July deals or which series might have more rebates?

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Lots of great information here.

Picking a new machine can be difficult - there are so many options. Here are just a few pieces of advice - just my opinion so take it or leave it :)

Based on what I see with your yard - it seems like the perfect fit for a BX. These machines are designed to be the suburban all around the house champions - yet still capable enough for the weekend warrior project here and there. If 90% of your time is going to be mowing a residential yard and snow removal, the BX would be the best tractor for that IMO. Those BX machines seem incapable next to the bigger B series or L series, but as tractor time with tim will show you, the sub compacts can still get a TON done.

I did a quick price check on the BX2380 and B2301 - both equipped with QA loaders, 60" MMM and R4 tires. I came up with the following:
1592839799584.png

If my numbers are right, a $3000 price difference isn't anything to sneeze at. The B2301 is certainly more tractor - but if you never actually use that "more tractor" it's money wasted that could have been spent buying other attachments or toys for a BX. Also - I want to say my local JD mentioned $16,500 out the door (or maybe that was before tax) for the 1025R. I would consider this machine to be between the BX and B2301.

IMO - I would refrain from "buy once" mentality. Life, as I have found it, is way too variable. Realistically think about what you will be doing for the next 5 years (with certainty). Buy the machine that best fits those jobs. If you grow out of it - so be it.

But if you've got the money and you want a bigger tractor - go for it :). If the B2301 is what you want and is gonna be the machine to make you feel happy - by all means do that!

Keep us posted!

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Lots of great information here.

Picking a new machine can be difficult - there are so many options. Here are just a few pieces of advice - just my opinion so take it or leave it :)

Based on what I see with your yard - it seems like the perfect fit for a BX. These machines are designed to be the suburban all around the house champions - yet still capable enough for the weekend warrior project here and there. If 90% of your time is going to be mowing a residential yard and snow removal, the BX would be the best tractor for that IMO. Those BX machines seem incapable next to the bigger B series or L series, but as tractor time with tim will show you, the sub compacts can still get a TON done.

I did a quick price check on the BX2380 and B2301 - both equipped with QA loaders, 60" MMM and R4 tires. I came up with the following:
View attachment 44878

If my numbers are right, a $3000 price difference isn't anything to sneeze at. The B2301 is certainly more tractor - but if you never actually use that "more tractor" it's money wasted that could have been spent buying other attachments or toys for a BX. Also - I want to say my local JD mentioned $16,500 out the door (or maybe that was before tax) for the 1025R. I would consider this machine to be between the BX and B2301.

IMO - I would refrain from "buy once" mentality. Life, as I have found it, is way too variable. Realistically think about what you will be doing for the next 5 years (with certainty). Buy the machine that best fits those jobs. If you grow out of it - so be it.

But if you've got the money and you want a bigger tractor - go for it :). If the B2301 is what you want and is gonna be the machine to make you feel happy - by all means do that!

Keep us posted!
Thank you and I appreciate the guidance.
I will have to swing by and try the BX again.
Hopefully my local dealer will be able to match the prices from the neighboring state.
As for the Deere, the lowest I have been able to get is at 24k for a 1025R, with the auto deck, quick attach loader/bucket, filled tires, block heater and snow pusher. That's from 3 different JD dealers.
Why I went the Kubota route and came here for the help.