Buying a B2301 w/o a mower deck

desotodino

Equipment
L3830
Nov 29, 2013
Oconomowoc, WI
I'm planning to purchase a B2301 but don't require a mower deck at this time. If at a later time, say 3-5 years, I find I need a mower deck, how likely is it that I will be able to get one from Kubota?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hmm. I would have thought near certain you can get a brand new one at full price. Unless they replace the model with a new model that isn't compatible, which I don't personally think is on the horizon, and then also don't have any stock of mower decks for a period of time after that.

If you're expecting to get a second hand mower deck later, then much lower probability. Not sure how often people would sell the mower second hand without the tractor - I guess it happens but not often.

I bought a front end loader for my 15 year old BX 2 years ago. The current model loader fit, so I just bought a new one.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I found a used mower deck for my brand new BX if I want it, doubt I’ll get it. Same model and the guy said he bought the tractor over 5 years ago, so it’s very likely they’ll keep the design for years to come.
I’m not sure but I thought I read somewhere that the B series and BX use the same deck.. anyone here confirm this?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Nope, very different decks between BX and B. The B is heavier duty.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've read reports of people having difficulty finding MMM decks for their tractors. Complaints were availability, interference with tires when trying to substitute a deck, prices, etc. I'd spring for the deck now if you think there's any chance you may want it a year or two from now.

That said, if you'd like a rear mower, they're always available and usually at a much lower price. They aren't specific to a tractor brand. Our first tractor had a 60" MMM. That was from 1990 till 1992. In the 28 years since then the 4 different tractors have all been outfitted with RFM's.

desotodino

Equipment
L3830
Nov 29, 2013
Oconomowoc, WI
Thanks for your feedback. I'd rather not spend the extra cash to purchase one and then have to store it just-in-case. I think I would do the rear mower as suggested if that ever becomes a need, or get a new tractor :)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Finding MMM decks shouldn't be hard for a relatively new tractor. A 1990s tractor or earlier, sure, and if you're substituting a deck not made for that tractor. But a B2301 will have new decks available for years. Interfering with tyres indicates you got oversized tyres that already said you couldn't run a deck, or are using a deck not made for that machine.

RFM is a great option though, and as you say that'll always work.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
You also could go with a rear 3 point finish mower. They will always be available and will fit. Just a thought.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
My guess is if you know the model number you can find just about anything new or old for sale. Check Tractorhouse.com for Kubota mowing decks. All kinds available. Many in near new condition at half the price or less of new. Shipping might be a minor challenge. I wouldn't worry about it. I ruined an exhaust stack on a 40 year old Allis Chalmers made in Romania. 2 days later I had a new replacement. $60. Found in 5 minutes on the internet. Have fun and don't worry.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Desoto, from one MOPAR guy to another, spend the money now! Like the man said finding a used or even NOS is a crap shoot at best. You will find the 2 grand difference is very little in your monthly payment, and one you use the MMM on that beasty, well lets say you wil throw stones at what ever else you are mowing with. Now unless you are mowing some realllllly nasty shyt that MMM will handle anything you want, I used the BX MMM on everything from wild grapes to wild roses and bamboo and grass around the house. It is ofcourse your money spend it how you see fit, Im just telling you from past experience, trying to spend a dollar to save a dime dont work. Spend the money now and move on my friend.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, what isn't known is how much grass to cut !! 1/4ac, 10ac ,??? I ask cause the MMM for my BX23s listed for $2500+- ! I can buy a LOT of used riders(lifetime supply) for less than that and NOT have to deal with deckon/deckoff issues.....
options..always looks at options....

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Ok, what isn't known is how much grass to cut !! 1/4ac, 10ac ,??? I ask cause the MMM for my BX23s listed for $2500+- ! I can buy a LOT of used riders(lifetime supply) for less than that and NOT have to deal with deckon/deckoff issues.....
Yes it was pretty expensive for that add on.. I would have liked to of had one at time of purchase but even that few bucks more a month was more than I wanted. I figured I could always get one down the road if my zero gives out, it’s the way to go if you haven’t tried one!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Decisions are best thought of in terms of if you were paying cash whether you are or not. The less debt the better. If you need it and will use it buy it. When you are old and tabulate your net worth it will not have made a bit of difference. However by showing discipline in your spending and decision making over the course of your life it will make a huge difference in your net worth guaranteed. There is an old saying "Count the pennies and the dollars will follow". I understand some don't care about such things and that's fine. Warren Buffett is worth studying in my opinion.

Last edited:

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
If it helps your decision at all I have a 54" MMM on my 2601 that I'd like to sell and just replace with a middle of the road zero turn with a bagger. I utilize the loader and BH on mine quite a bit and am already tired of taking it on and off. If you are local to Mass and want to buy it used in a few years let me know!

desotodino

Equipment
L3830
Nov 29, 2013
Oconomowoc, WI
If it helps your decision at all I have a 54" MMM on my 2601 that I'd like to sell and just replace with a middle of the road zero turn with a bagger. I utilize the loader and BH on mine quite a bit and am already tired of taking it on and off. If you are local to Mass and want to buy it used in a few years let me know!
I'm in Wisconsin but I appreciate the offer, thank you.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I just ordered a B2601 without a MM mower. I realized that my property is such that I'll have to have a small mower anyway. Once we lived a place I was able to lay out so that I had only one engine. It was great!