Bushhog BH5 quality?

dterry302

Jul 14, 2015
Florida
Hi, I'm buying a new 3901 4x4 gear drive with a loader next week and I have the package set up with a 5ft bushhog. Would that tractor be able to handle the 6 ft cutter in heavy pasture mowing? Also what is the quality on the BH series Bushhogs? thanks Drew

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Your new tractor should do well with that width bush hog. As to the quality of that particular mower, can't help there, all my stuff is way old. Bush Hog has a good rep, in general, however.:D:D

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Hi, I'm buying a new 3901 4x4 gear drive with a loader next week and I have the package set up with a 5ft bushhog. Would that tractor be able to handle the 6 ft cutter in heavy pasture mowing? Also what is the quality on the BH series Bushhogs? thanks Drew
Drew, the size depends on how thick the pasture grass is and how slow you're willing to go. I've got the M5140 and run a 6' Landpride. When I get into heavy Argentine bahia I have to gear down because of the large quantities of material the mower has to cut and eject from the deck. I mow commercially so I don't want to go too slow. If I were only doing work on my own property I wouldn't mind going a little slow. Will the 5' mower cover your tracks? Only reason I mention that is if it doesn't then you're limiting yourself in being able to cut close to trees, fences, etc. Which BH model are you considering? There is a lot of difference between the BH1, BH2 and BH3 series. You may not have enough power to use the heavier ones. Hope this helps.