Bush Mower Blades

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Just had a look at my mower. Big thick blades that apparently have hit a couple rocks! How sharp should these be?

Also if you grind them do you take the temper out? My Grandps told me never to grind a blade and use a file. These are pretty round!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Yup,that pretty much sums it up.
Never grind underside of blade.
My preferred method is clamped/bolted to bench and my big makita with a 7" grinding wheel. Dont heat it up.if it needs a lot of grinding, switch blades and let other one cool after a few passes.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Yup,that pretty much sums it up.
Never grind underside of blade.
My preferred method is clamped/bolted to bench and my big makita with a 7" grinding wheel. Dont heat it up.if it needs a lot of grinding, switch blades and let other one cool after a few passes.
I live in about the rockiest piece of ground that God ever put on this earth. I hit rocks as big as your head on a regular basis. I have to sharpen my mower blades at least twice a month. I don't even try to get them sharp anymore. I just take the big nicks out of them and that seems to be enough to keep the lawn from looking ragged. BTW, I mow with my engine running at about 2400 to 2600 RPM. I have a MMM deck and that RPM seems to be enough to get the job done without looking like the grass was ripped up.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I've been sharpening them on a lawnmower blade grinder for years. I have mine set for the steepest angle possible. Still leave the 1/8" margin that the book says, though, cause it's not a finish mower, and does hit stuff. I also check for balance, by weighing each blade. When they are relatively sharp, weigh the blades, and grind some more on the heavy one, till the weights are the same...:D