Bush Hog for L4060

Spidermonkey11

Equipment
L4060
Jan 17, 2021
Charlotte
Morning all,

I am in search of a new bush hog and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the JD mx6? I know, I know, wrong manufacturer but I can get it at a decent price.

My concerns are:
- Double the weight of my old one
- PTO Hp is close to the required PTO HP for this bush hog.

I dont want to buy it and bring it home and it bog the tractor way down and basically be too big for my tractor.

I've looked at a Bush Hog BH216-2 also, that seems like it might be a better fit but is still close on required PTO HP

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Seems like either of those cutters will work just fine with your tractor. I wouldn't worry about the weight although you might have to add some front weight if you don't cut with the loader on (if you have a loader.)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Morning all,

I am in search of a new bush hog and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the JD mx6? I know, I know, wrong manufacturer but I can get it at a decent price.

My concerns are:
- Double the weight of my old one
- PTO Hp is close to the required PTO HP for this bush hog.

I dont want to buy it and bring it home and it bog the tractor way down and basically be too big for my tractor.

I've looked at a Bush Hog BH216-2 also, that seems like it might be a better fit but is still close on required PTO HP

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Compare mower weight against max recommended mower weight in your Owner's Manual.

Exceeding max recommended weight invites failure of hitch components.

SDT

Spidermonkey11

Equipment
L4060
Jan 17, 2021
Charlotte
Compare mower weight against max recommended mower weight in your Owner's Manual.

Exceeding max recommended weight invites failure of hitch components.

SDT
So the tractor is rated at 2760lbs at 24" and the mx6 weights 1041, so i feel confident on either one in regards to weight.

My bigger concern is the PTO speed for the MX6. A friend of mine has one of these with an M series tractor (roughly 45 pto HP) and he was telling me how it drags his tractor down at times.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So the tractor is rated at 2760lbs at 24" and the mx6 weights 1041, so i feel confident on either one in regards to weight.

My bigger concern is the PTO speed for the MX6. A friend of mine has one of these with an M series tractor (roughly 45 pto HP) and he was telling me how it drags his tractor down at times.
Lifting ability is not the issue.

Statically or, more importantly, dynamically over-stressing hitch components is the issue.

I have been using a Woods BB720X 60" rotary cutter with my L6060 which is rated for 1,000 Lbs. maximum rotary cutter.

The cutter with front and rear chains is about 1,200 Lbs. I replaced the front chains with belt shielding to reduce weight and help keep debris from the back of the tractor. This reduced mower weight by 50 Lbs. or so.

Tractor has no problem lifting mower in any situation (do use front weights) but four hitch components have broken so far. Within warranty first time. Out of warranty on elapsed time other times.

Lifting capacity is only one of several factors contributing to maximum recommended implement weight.

Expect that I will need to replace the 720X, which was bought for use with a different tractor, since sold, with a lighter cutter.

SDT

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Depending on your planned use and type of cutting I would suggest that you are right to be concerned about the cutter weight and the fact that your pto hp is close to the minimum required.

your tractor can lift and run the Mx6 but the question is more about is it going to run the cutter well in the type of material you are cutting?

I run a 60” 600lb cutter on my L3901 and a 72” 820lb cutter on my MX5800, both perform very well. I tried running my Woods BB72X 820lb cutter on the L3901, I felt that the cutter was too big for my tractor and performance was mediocre at best as my pto hp was just above minimum recommended. My experience with cutters and similar type of equipment is that you need to operate them with more than the minimum HP recommended. An extra 5 or 10 hp will allow you to not bog down and even work at a faster ground speed.

my suggestion is to find a cutter more suited to your tractor, running a 5’ cutter may give better and faster performance than running a heavier 6’ cutter.

Good luck in making your final decision.

Last edited:

MOTOROLANUT

Equipment
Grand L4240, LA854 FEL
Apr 25, 2021
West Virginia
I run a 6 foot brush hog approx 600 lbs with my 4240. Runs and cuts fine. That JD clocking in at 1000lbs is a beast. I guess you could look at it this way, it will be great ballast. lol

bsekf

Premium Member

Equipment
m5400
Jul 27, 2013
Western NY
PTO equipment is engineered to run correctly at 540 RPM's. That's usually just a few 100 motor rpm's below wide open. If you don't keep the tip speed up, your tractor will bog down in heavy going.