Building jumps and moving dirt

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Greetings, First time using my tractor at the little motocross track near my house ... groomed the tracks using the tiller ... wow, sweet chocolate cake was the outcome there ...

Then, attempted to change a rather dangerous 'double' by moving some dirt and ... yikes ... got an education. Yes, my little tractor can make some headway there but ... its an 'inch by inch' kind of thing.

If I rented an SVL95 skid steer (or a model like that) ... how much easier (in time savings and productivity) would it be ... iow, is it worth it to rent the skid steer to move dirt/build jumps? And, if I already know how to move dirt using my tractor, what is the learning curve to jump onto a skid steer?

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
If you can brap around a motocross track and run a tractor you'll have no problem with a skid steer. There is no comparison how much faster it will move dirt around.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Night and day difference moving dirt with a Skid Steer / Track loader than a tractor.
Operations are easy enough to learn, just make sure NO ONE and Nothing is around you!
They will run right over anything and anyone in a blink of an eye!

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
ok, cool ... um ... should i rent one with wheels or tracks?

eljuncal

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
I survived my first day with a tracked skid steer ... on a motocross track ... building jumps.

Wow ... yes, this thing (an SVL75-2) can move some dirt! It can also be difficult to operate on narrow jumps with limited rear visibility (and no camera or mirror) ... wow, I was petrified I would back my way off the side of a jump ...

But, all was fine, even when I inadvertently asked the machine to flip over backwards (it didn't thank God) at the apex of a steep booter ... !

All said and done, got the work finished, nobody got hurt and the machine did fine. And yes, was able to get things done my little B would have taken a week to do ... if at all ...

I'm still processing this experience ... ideally, your first day in a skid steer won't be at a motocross track :)

My machine had some of the SSQA edges chipped off making the switching of buckets a little challenging.

Also, the door would not slide open or close without the locks grabbing and preventing exit ... and the windows were sealed shut (wouldn't budge) ... and the AC didn't work ... so i just left the door open ....

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I survived my first day with a tracked skid steer ... on a motocross track ... building jumps.

Wow ... yes, this thing (an SVL75-2) can move some dirt! It can also be difficult to operate on narrow jumps with limited rear visibility (and no camera or mirror) ... wow, I was petrified I would back my way off the side of a jump ...

But, all was fine, even when I inadvertently asked the machine to flip over backwards (it didn't thank God) at the apex of a steep booter ... !

All said and done, got the work finished, nobody got hurt and the machine did fine. And yes, was able to get things done my little B would have taken a week to do ... if at all ...

I'm still processing this experience ... ideally, your first day in a skid steer won't be at a motocross track :)

My machine had some of the SSQA edges chipped off making the switching of buckets a little challenging.

Also, the door would not slide open or close without the locks grabbing and preventing exit ... and the windows were sealed shut (wouldn't budge) ... and the AC didn't work ... so i just left the door open ....
Sounds like a pretty successful first run at a little diggity machine. As my better half calls them. I want BRAAAPPPPPing photos. When you are all done. At my level of experience I don't BRAP anymore. But I still like to toodle around on two wheels.