Bucket down or up when tractor is off and stored.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Here’s an interesting observation (at least is was for me)... Lower the FEL and the 3-pt, then shut down the engine. Raise the 3-pt lever (so the next start will auto-raise it so I won’t forget to do so before backing it out of the shed. ) Wiggle the FEL joystick to release any remaining hyd-pressure...and the 3-pt will raise up ever-so-slightly. :unsure:

Now I wait to return the 3-pt lever to the ”up” position until after I’ve released any remaining pressure in the FEL joystick.

Just found it interesting that FEL-residual pressure would influence the 3-pt.
This leaves me out as I probably will never use the 3 point except for the 240 lb. bags of gravel in a wright box.

DueEast

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Mar 9, 2021
Washington
Here’s an interesting observation (at least is was for me)... Lower the FEL and the 3-pt, then shut down the engine. Raise the 3-pt lever (so the next start will auto-raise it so I won’t forget to do so before backing it out of the shed. ) Wiggle the FEL joystick to release any remaining hyd-pressure...and the 3-pt will raise up ever-so-slightly. :unsure:

Now I wait to return the 3-pt lever to the ”up” position until after I’ve released any remaining pressure in the FEL joystick.

Makes sense. It’s all connected and using the same hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

That is interesting. I never thought to notice that, BUT I did notice (as GeoHorn said) that if I put the three point hitch lever in the up position (position control) when the tractor is shut off, then start the tractor the 3PH (and attached implement) will suddenly raise up when the tractor is started.

I see this as a safety issue, even though I am always by myself when I start the tractor and the sudden lift of the 3PH should never be an issue. BUT it could be if somehow someone else was there when I started the tractor.

So I now never put the 3PH position lever in any position other than full down before starting the tractor. Even though it probably makes no practical difference.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Raise the 3-pt lever (so the next start will auto-raise it so I won’t forget to do so before backing it out of the shed. )
I do not agree with this approach to dealing with (not) remembering to raise the 3-point hitch before backing out after a startup. For several reasons.

If starting in winter cold, as I have no heated shed, here it gets below -20F regularly and a block heater doesn't help warm the hydraulics. So making the 3-point hoist whatever is on it (box blade? chipper?) the instant the engine turns over running the hydraulic motor cold does NOT sound healthy to me. -20F hydraulic fluid and the entire system forced to work before any warmup. Hmmm.

I always AT LEAST glance, if not turn sideways in seat and full-on look behind me, and the tractor, before backing it up. It's then that I see the chainsaw was stored on top of the box blade, and if the blade was raised the instant I cranked the engine the saw would get folded into the lift arms and likely destroyed.

Obviously IMO leaving the 3-point position control lever in the up position when the tractor is shut off is not a good idea.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I might be wrong but from my understanding the hydraulic pump is running as soon as the engine is started and in an open center system(Kubota) that circulation of the fluid is what actually warms the fluid.
The lifting of the 3-point would only add a temporary 'cold' load to the pump.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I do not agree with this approach to dealing with (not) remembering to raise the 3-point hitch before backing out after a startup. For several reasons.

If starting in winter cold, as I have no heated shed, here it gets below -20F regularly and a block heater doesn't help warm the hydraulics. So making the 3-point hoist whatever is on it (box blade? chipper?) the instant the engine turns over running the hydraulic motor cold does NOT sound healthy to me. -20F hydraulic fluid and the entire system forced to work before any warmup. Hmmm.

I always AT LEAST glance, if not turn sideways in seat and full-on look behind me, and the tractor, before backing it up. It's then that I see the chainsaw was stored on top of the box blade, and if the blade was raised the instant I cranked the engine the saw would get folded into the lift arms and likely destroyed.

Obviously IMO leaving the 3-point position control lever in the up position when the tractor is shut off is not a good idea.
You are suppose to warm the engine for at least 5 minutes in that temp. Would not that warm to hydro oil enough???

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
You are suppose to warm the engine for at least 5 minutes in that temp. Would not that warm to hydro oil enough???
Yup that would be about the minimum before a decent slow start out, until some fluid gets pumped around the system a bit. Then up the rpm when a bar shows on temp guage.

But if the 3-point was lowered before shutdown, which it should be, then RAISED while engine off (which it shouldn't be!), then whatever is mounted will get instantly raised when the engine is started cold!

That's ZERO warmup, and bang, the hydraulic drivetrain is pushing up the implement on the back up to full height.

Not my idea of wise, or safe, at all.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Yup that would be about the minimum before a decent slow start out, until some fluid gets pumped around the system a bit. Then up the rpm when a bar shows on temp guage.

But if the 3-point was lowered before shutdown, which it should be, then RAISED while engine off (which it shouldn't be!), then whatever is mounted will get instantly raised when the engine is started cold!

That's ZERO warmup, and bang, the hydraulic drivetrain is pushing up the implement on the back up to full height.

Yes, makes sense. My area is getting more and more dealers carrying tractors. Was looking at a Branson today and the ad brochure for about the same size tractor as my LX2610 said it had "dual hydro pumps" or some such. Does Kubota have these? They said it makes for more finesse in using the loader?

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Yes, makes sense. My area is getting more and more dealers carrying tractors. Was looking at a Branson today and the ad brochure for about the same size tractor as my LX2610 said it had "dual hydro pumps" or some such. Does Kubota have these? They said it makes for more finesse in using the loader?
There's 2 pumps in our tractors. One powers the steering, HST and pto clutch, the other the loader and 3-point hitch.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

One of the chief advantages promoted about the (synthetic) SUDT2 is.... it is designed to work in very cold conditons. I doubt that the 3-pt control-lever being in the Up position during start causes any harm at all. Certainly doesn’t if a tractor is stored inside a bldg in central Texas.

Not Safe? What‘s unsafe about it?

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
One of the chief advantages promoted about the (synthetic) SUDT2 is.... it is designed to work in very cold conditons. I doubt that the 3-pt control-lever being in the Up position during start causes any harm at all. Certainly doesn’t if a tractor is stored inside a bldg in central Texas.

Not Safe? What‘s unsafe about it?
Go ahead. Have the 3-point arms rising as soon as you start the tractor. Your shop.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I'm pretty firmly in the "when I hit the starter button, the only thing that should happen is the tractor should start" camp. I'd prefer that nothing else move until I tell it to. In addition to the concerns about skipping the 20 minute winter warmup time called for in my manual, with my old tractors the implement on the ground also served as a parking brake.

Reactions: 1 user