Bucket down or up when tractor is off and stored.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I read somewhere to have it down (probably here) IT seems to me it might be more sensible to have it where the stainless steel piston is up in the tube for protection, especially if you store outside under a trap like I plan to do.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m guessing you are referring to the “rolling” of the bucket....that in either case the bucket is on the ground (for safety, of course.). If it’s stored under a tarp it likely makes no difference, IMO. But if not under protection from the elements then it will hold rain-water, etc if it’s rolled “back” or “up” and that is not something I’d want.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Down on the ground and rolled forward for water not to sit in the bucket.
The Cylinder rod would take years of non use to get damaged.

Reactions: 5 users

DueEast

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Mar 9, 2021
Washington
I always store mine down on the ground with the cutting edge close to level with the ground. I store my Tractor indoors. My neighbor keeps his loader up in the air and bucket dumped down. Always seems wrong to me.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
All implements lowered to the ground, bucket tipped for drainage if outdoors. If not lowered to the ground then mechanically blocked up for safety, for example the pin that holds your backhoe boom upright.

Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Lowered if for no other reason than leak down doing unexpected things. You could always put something under it.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I always store mine down on the ground with the cutting edge close to level with the ground. I store my Tractor indoors. My neighbor keeps his loader up in the air and bucket dumped down. Always seems wrong to me.
I do this in the summer

and this in the winter. Even inside, the bucket likely has snow in it and (every once in awhile) it may get warm enough for some of that to melt in the barn. My previous tractor was rusted almost all the way across the back seam at the bottom.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
After you catch an ankle on the Piranha Tooth bar, you learn this. Nice and flat. Rolled forward works too.

image.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Yeah dump position is used when left outside to prevent water/ice/snow from accumulating inside the bucket. Normal leveled position (as @RCW demonstrated above) is fine for storing indoors.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Another advantage to the Wolfman's approach is that it keeps hydraulic pressure off of the cylinder seals while parked so they will last longer.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Always down when unattended...never know when it could drop or the pressure released.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a friend who had a Ford 8N he used for everything. One day he went into the house for lunch and when he came out his dog was under the bucket and it had come down on him.

I know another guy who put his tractor in a shop and stashed implements all around it to get them in. He had the bucket of his tractor up in the air to make more space. The bucket came down and did a lot of damage to his riding mower that was setting under it.

No sense having pressure on the hydraulic system when not in use, and then risking someone/something getting injured or killed.

Have the loader on the ground when not in use.

Reactions: 5 users

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I had a friend who had a Ford 8N he used for everything. One day he went into the house for lunch and when he came out his dog was under the bucket and it had come down on him.

I know another guy who put his tractor in a shop and stashed implements all around it to get them in. He had the bucket of his tractor up in the air to make more space. The bucket came down and did a lot of damage to his riding mower that was setting under it.

No sense having pressure on the hydraulic system when not in use, and then risking someone/something getting injured or killed.

Have the loader on the ground when not in use.
Good idea!

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I put it on the ground. If I leave it too long with the loader up, it ends up on the ground anyway, so might as well start there...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My Dad and every supervisor I ever had would either smack me or yell at me if I didn’t ground the hydraulics on whatever I was running when I shut it down and got off. Right or wrong, have always put everything on the ground and relieved pressure in the lines to the degree possible as part of shutdown procedure.

Reactions: 1 users

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My Dad and every supervisor I ever had would either smack me or yell at me if I didn’t ground the hydraulics on whatever I was running when I shut it down and got off. Right or wrong, have always put everything on the ground and relieved pressure in the lines to the degree possible as part of shutdown procedure.
Is pressure relieved just by setting it down? Guess so, makes sense.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Is pressure relieved just by setting it down? Guess so, makes sense.
For the three point, yes. After the engine is off, for stuff that goes both ways, I always cycle through the valve; up, down, curl, dump, third function open/close. Might be stupid or unnecessary but that’s what I’ve done for decades and never had any ill effects.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here’s an interesting observation (at least is was for me)... Lower the FEL and the 3-pt, then shut down the engine. Raise the 3-pt lever (so the next start will auto-raise it so I won’t forget to do so before backing it out of the shed. ) Wiggle the FEL joystick to release any remaining hyd-pressure...and the 3-pt will raise up ever-so-slightly. :unsure:

Now I wait to return the 3-pt lever to the ”up” position until after I’ve released any remaining pressure in the FEL joystick.

Just found it interesting that FEL-residual pressure would influence the 3-pt.