Bucket cam

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I've been wanting a way to see exactly where the front lip of my loader bucket is, especially when I'm trying to slide it under something to pick up (also when I have my bolt-on brush forks attached and I'm lifting trunk sections of trees I've taken down). Hopping off and on the tractor, to see where the bucket is, gets tiresome pretty quickly. There is the level indicator rod for the bucket but I'm not a good enough operator for that to be enough. So, I got a dash cam with wi-fi, and stuck it to a magnetic-base stand I had lying around.
IMG_1385.jpg

The power cord that came with the camera is long enough to reach back to where I mounted a cigarette lighter outlet on the lower dashboard. I used a marine-grade outlet because it comes with a cover that will keep dust and water out when I'm not using it.
IMG_1365.jpg

I did not want to cut/splice any wires, so luckily I already knew about a switched power source (see here

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...ick-up-hot-wire-connection.41729/#post-355360

For viewing, I mount my iPad (fully charged so no power cord needed) on a tablet stand bolted to a scrap piece of wood with some magnets holding it to the hood. The camera produces its own wi-fi network, and setting the iPad wi-fi to that network allows the free app to view what the camera is seeing.
IMG_1367.jpg

And... here's the view I get:
IMG_0096.PNG

Hope this helps if y'all are looking for something like this. Works for me!

IMG_1385.jpg IMG_1365.jpg IMG_1367.jpg IMG_0096.PNG

Reactions: 13 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Pretty dang fancy. The view looks like the back up camera on my Honda car.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job. (y)

Thanks for posting.

Seems like a good solution.

joea

Equipment
B21 TLB
Aug 2, 2020
Marbletown NY
Thinking of something like that myself. Any problems so far with your "load" knocking the camera off, or worse?

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Thinking of something like that myself. Any problems so far with your "load" knocking the camera off, or worse?
If I'm just using the bucket for moving a large rock or a dug-out stump or something, the camera stays put really well. Those magnets are some pretty strong rare-earth types that hold on tight.

But yeah, I've smacked the camera a couple times when I'm using the brush forks that I bolt to the bucket. I'll be cutting down cedar trees and I'll pick up a trunk section that I haven't trimmed the branches off of, and a branch will push the camera over the back of the bucket. It dangles by the power cord and I have to stop immediately and retrieve it. You'd think I would have learned to be more careful with the brush pick-up routine, since I've also nearly punctured the tractor grill a couple times, and once I even ripped apart a loader hydraulic line fitting (yeah, THAT was a great freakin' day...). I'm learning to take it a little slower and pay more attention to how the pick-up is gonna go (plus I'm planning to make a grill guard one of these days). I may try mounting the camera further back and higher, like on the loader cross-member, since the field of view would be further out due to the longer forks so I could still see them okay.

Also I've been a little concerned about the iPad maybe vibrating loose, and I'll probably start using a short bungee cord across the back as a safety. I'm sure if it fell, it would land screen-first on a large pointed rock. The camera was only $45 on Amazon, but a new iPad would be a lot more than that.

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I like this setup. Do you have a link to that particular camera?

Doug
Yup, here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Dashcams-Par...55628&sprefix=arifayz+dash+cam,aps,141&sr=8-4

When I bought it in June, it was around $45, but now I see it's dropped to $39. It comes with a long power cord (cigarette lighter plug on one end, micro-usb on the other) that easily reaches from the bucket to the outlet. You will also need to download (from Apple store) the free Peztio app to view on a phone or tablet.

I also bought a micro-SD card:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RG6XJZD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
which I'm not certain is required, but I tried installing another dash cam in my truck a couple years ago and it wouldn't install without the card, so I just got it to avoid a hassle. Looks like it's gotten a couple bucks cheaper too.

joea

Equipment
B21 TLB
Aug 2, 2020
Marbletown NY
I have a 2 inch receiver tube welded on the bucket, so, looking for a very small camera I could put in there, with a fabricated slide in mount/shield. As if sliding in a ball hitch.

Might work to keep it somewhat protected.

But finding one seems to be hit or miss, buy and try.

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
Yup, here it is:
Thank you Fuzz, I appreciate. I have a dash cam I received for Christmas this past year that I have not installed yet. I think I will check to see if it has the wifi capability like yours before I go guy another one.

Thanks again,
Doug

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I have a 2 inch receiver tube welded on the bucket, so, looking for a very small camera I could put in there, with a fabricated slide in mount/shield. As if sliding in a ball hitch.

Might work to keep it somewhat protected.

But finding one seems to be hit or miss, buy and try.
That is an excellent idea. Got me thinking about bending some heavy steel strap into a kind of upside-down U-shape, with some right angles at the lower end of the arms, to bolt to the bucket. Make a protective cage, sort of.
Please keep us posted on what you come up with. I'll do the same.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Two thoughts about the iPad
How does it work in bright sunlight?

Can you buy an older used iPad to use for cheap in case it falls off. Or get the rugged case with a strap to attach to the tractor

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
Two thoughts about the iPad
How does it work in bright sunlight?

Can you buy an older used iPad to use for cheap in case it falls off. Or get the rugged case with a strap to attach to the tractor
I have the screen brightness set to maximum, and haven't had any problems yet.. but I can see where that could be an issue. I'd probably just rig some kind of temporary sunshade out of cardboard and tape it to the iPad.

As for an older iPad, yeah that would definitely be a possibility. Just depends on how cheap you can get one for. I'm thinking the only possible issue might be what iOS level the viewing app requires. I've never looked into a hard case, but my bungee cord idea is sort of like the strap I guess.

Good questions though, thanks.