BT900 Bucket Cylinder Rebuild

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All-
In the continuing saga of the bucket cylinder rebuild, I thought I'd share a trick for opening the Kubota "front face hole" cylinders.
I am constantly frustrated by the crappy gland tools available and so I made mine.
But that's not the trick.

In most cases a gland tool slides out of the holes leaving you frustrated.
I found that by using a motorcycle fork seal tool to hold the gland removal tool against the gland, the process was much easier - not having to struggle with holding the glad tool against the gland while turning.
I used a couple of radiator clamps to hold the tool on the rod. Since a motorcycle fork is just as sensitive to scratches as our tractor cylinders, these tools have a built-in cushion to protect the tube.

I hope this helps someone.

1697464603662.png

1697464656518.png

Here is a a reference to the fork tool (they come in various sizes):

1697464932887.png

Reactions: 1 user

YOUNGDRETTI

Equipment
L3750DT G1800S w/ 3 PT.
May 17, 2022
UT
I just found your photos and helpful comments, Thanks for taking time to share!

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Hi All-
In the continuing saga of the bucket cylinder rebuild, I thought I'd share a trick for opening the Kubota "front face hole" cylinders.
I am constantly frustrated by the crappy gland tools available and so I made mine.
But that's not the trick.

In most cases a gland tool slides out of the holes leaving you frustrated.
I found that by using a motorcycle fork seal tool to hold the gland removal tool against the gland, the process was much easier - not having to struggle with holding the glad tool against the gland while turning.
I used a couple of radiator clamps to hold the tool on the rod. Since a motorcycle fork is just as sensitive to scratches as our tractor cylinders, these tools have a built-in cushion to protect the tube.

I hope this helps someone.

View attachment 113986

View attachment 113987

Here is a a reference to the fork tool (they come in various sizes):

View attachment 113988
Are you F***g kidding me??? This is exactly, and I mean EXACTLY what I needed 3 days ago!!! Thank you for posting. Read my posts regarding LA 1150 Lift Arm Seals/Cylinder

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Are you F***g kidding me??? This is exactly, and I mean EXACTLY what I needed 3 days ago!!! Thank you for posting. Read my posts regarding LA 1150 Lift Arm Seals/Cylinder
You're welcome. I'm glad i could help.
I've completely restored my L35 TLB and posted a lot of stuff maybe you can use.

The hardest part of our cylinders is getting the gland off. But the right tools matter.
Many times the piston doesn't need anything. Its the Uring and Oring in the gland that is leaking. Some folks replace all rubber parts since they're 'in there'
The little tool that is used to replace those gland seals is cheap and worth having.

Screenshot_20231108_193636_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Here's a couple more pictures of the final bucket cylinder completion.
Note that the top nipple on the cylinder (extend function) was damaged and replaced.

This is the Extend function nipple.
Yeah, that's a lot of corrosion damage but the arrow points to the ring of brazing. The nipple was pointed to the cylinder (due to collision I guess). I don't have the tools to braze it again so I cut it off and welded another nipple made from a 90 deg JIC I had.

All my OEM cylinder nipples are made this way: Looks like a steel pipe welded to the cylinder, then the actual nipple is brazed on somehow. I tried brazing (which I've never done) and without a powerful torch it was useless. TIG weld was what I used.

@TheOldHokie (Dan) gave me some advice and moral support on this - thanks again, Dan!)

1699519486240.png

This is where the S/N was hiding under the old paint.

1699519696354.png

1699519725830.png

Powdercoated and ready. See the new nipple. I had a shop make me a new pipe (like OEM - which is NLA) for the (Retract function)

1699520731170.png

1699519782387.png

The first 3 items on the invoice are the Oring at the piston, and the 2 seals for the gland.

1699520261207.png

Last edited: