Bseries valve clearances

edowns

Equipment
B1600
Dec 21, 2011
Salop, UK
Trying a second time...BUT what is the best way to turn the engine by hand, when the cylinders still have no opening to the outside?

Well, I guess most of the cylinders would be open to the outside, since the valves are opening and closing...but having seen it suggested that glow plugs be removed to make turning the engine easier, I am wondering if I am missing something.

Can one simply grab the fan and turn the engine? Such a simple question I know! But nothing beats an answer from those who have done it...
Hi
Dont suggest s using the fan as it is relatively weak.
I jacked up one back wheel [the other has to be firm on the ground to stop everything slipping with the dif' engaged] and used it to turn the engine. The glow plugs out / loosened were just to reduce compression so I could be more "gentle"

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi
Dont suggest s using the fan as it is relatively weak.
I jacked up one back wheel [the other has to be firm on the ground to stop everything slipping with the dif' engaged] and used it to turn the engine. The glow plugs out / loosened were just to reduce compression so I could be more "gentle"
If you have a hydrostat tractor, you can not turn the engine using the rear wheel.
I always remove the #1 cylinder glow plug and turn the engine over using the fan while using a piece of bronze rod to detect TDC. By watching the valve, you can see what stroke the #1 cylinder is on. Just before TDC, insert the bronze rod to determine the exact TDC and adjust the valves using the chart in the WSM. You only need 2 positions to adjust all of the valves and no question as to if they are adjusted correctly.

I do not know how many times a year customers bring in a unit they have adjusted their own valves using a method from ???? and it just doesn't run right if it even starts.