Brush cutter and L1500

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
Ok folks, back to the brush cutter talk. I have a L1500 what type of rotary/brush cutter do you all recommend?
I have a lot (3/4 acre) that has some small saplings(1/4 in to 2 inch),will my little tractor cut the mustard with the right cutter or do I need a bigger tractor?
What type of cutter is best? I know a 48in is as large as I want as far as weight goes. I have 4 weights in the front but not sure what size they are maybe 55lbs each.

Thanks,
Mike

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
General rule of thumb is a foot of mower for every five horsepower. That would put you at a 36" mower. Yes, you can go bigger but you will probably have to slow your ground speed somewhat when mowing. I would not bet on your tractor taking out a four inch sapling. If you don't have too many you may wish to consider taking a limb lopper to shorten them first. If they're not placed too thick I don't think they'd stop the blade, though.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I have the same tractor. I run a King Kutter 48 inch brush mower. It's a bit much for it but it works. Get an over running clutch. I run a Speeco on mine. I run mine without weight on the front. You can't steer very well without brakes but it will turn on a dime with them. I wouldn't run it down the road without weight though. On the bigger saplings you'll need to slow way down. I can't speak to flail mowers because I haven't run one.

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
Thanks guys I dont plan on cuttinv any thing larger than about two inches if it's bigger than that I'll take a saw to it. And. It it to the dirt where can I get an over run. Clutch and how much do they cost.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I bought mine at Mills Fleet Farm. It was about $60. Tractor Supply had them too. It's going to smoke a little when it gets ahold of a 2 inch s sapling. Keep your hand on the 3 point lever to raise it if needed.