Brother Gearheads

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK, I need someone with SMALL MOTOR smarts. I was using the little tiller a mantis a cool little tiller for small places. It quit,, OK I go through all the normal stuff,, gas, filter, spark,,, hmm no spark, new plug still no spark,, Looks like the coil went south checked the grounds yep good,, get on line looking for a coil,, I cant find a coil for it, for other Mdls but not this one. SO I have 2 questions 1. anybody know of a coil that will fit this (*&*%*()( thing? 2 anybody have a clue what kind of motor it is,, 2 cycle I know, I can find nothing on the mantis site. I need help guys, Im to fat old and crippled to dig this up with a shovel.
Then I went looking for my Troybuilt Horse,,the guy that borrowed it 2 years ago (and was a friend up till this morning) said well theres something wrong with it. I said whats wrong? He said the motor has a hole in the side of the case and all the oil leaked out before it stopped. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :(:(:(:(
I might be able to do a HF motor for it but dayum,,, one more reason I should know better than loan things out, but friends are suppose to take care of stuff,,, I should know better

Last edited:

garyp

Equipment
B3200, F2690
Feb 18, 2013
sutersville, pa
skeets As far as I know mantis and echo are the same manufacture. I think mantis makes them for echo. hope that helps

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
If you cannot resolve your motor issue...

My Mantis has a 4Stroke Honda on it. Cutest little motor you ever saw. I bought it re-man from Mantis and saved a bundle. Runs like a top -as long as I don't loan it out. :)

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
If it's been sitting up for a while, the magnetos may be rusted up. Should be a coil, or two, and maybe one on the fly wheel. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys, I dont know if that one that has been discontinued is the one I need or not. Bulldog everything is clean, like I said she was running then nada. OH well I shall dig deeper into this little mystery of life farther :D

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
One more thing I'd check, to be sure it's the coil. If it's a small 2 stroke, it probably has an external coil around the flywheel similar to chainsaws. Disconnect the small wire from it and check for spark again. That wire is to shut it off only by grounding it, it's possible the switch went bad or the wire is pinched or wore thru the insulation.

Checking the air gap could help too, if the coil is starting to get weak it may need a little more induction from the magnets to get a spark. Usually I thin business card is all I use.

Good luck

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CCR where did you find a reman unit?

G.rid, yep I did check the gap with a card, thats always worked for me as well, disconnected the kill switch same same,,
Thanks for the ideas guys

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
OK, I need someone with SMALL MOTOR smarts. I was using the little tiller a mantis a cool little tiller for small places. It quit,, OK I go through all the normal stuff,, gas, filter, spark,,, hmm no spark, new plug still no spark,, Looks like the coil went south checked the grounds yep good,, get on line looking for a coil,, I cant find a coil for it, for other Mdls but not this one. SO I have 2 questions 1. anybody know of a coil that will fit this (*&*%*()( thing? 2 anybody have a clue what kind of motor it is,, 2 cycle I know, I can find nothing on the mantis site. I need help guys, Im to fat old and crippled to dig this up with a shovel.
Then I went looking for my Troybuilt Horse,,the guy that borrowed it 2 years ago (and was a friend up till this morning) said well theres something wrong with it. I said whats wrong? He said the motor has a hole in the side of the case and all the oil leaked out before it stopped. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :(:(:(:(
I might be able to do a HF motor for it but dayum,,, one more reason I should know better than loan things out, but friends are suppose to take care of stuff,,, I should know better
Try here ,https://www.jackssmallengines.com/shop-by-manufacturer.aspx

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I bought mine from the Mantis web site, which I cannot seem to find now. They would get a few models back and when they had enough, they would offer them for sale at reduced pricing. I was looking for a 4-Stroke model and the re-man model saved me about $50 over new. Great little machine.