broken transmission cover plate

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I recently broke the filter stub as well and was curious if anyone has completed the fix using part 15241-32290? I took my BX to the local dealer and they want to replace the cover plate and all in looking at about $3K. They said the part was not for the transmission filter and would not attempt it. Curious if this has been successful on a BX. Thanks
I will assure you this has been done many times successfully. Ideally remove the cover and take it to a local machine shop where they can drill and tap it for the fitting squarely. It can be done on the machine, but remember where you are drilling and tapping is the filtered oil return to the HST. Any chips left in there could kill the trans. IMHO, it’s not worth the risk. If you get a new cover at the dealer, you still get the same crappy cast aluminum filter stud.

Rio37

Equipment
BX23
May 31, 2022
PITTSBURGH
I will assure you this has been done many times successfully. Ideally remove the cover and take it to a local machine shop where they can drill and tap it for the fitting squarely. It can be done on the machine, but remember where you are drilling and tapping is the filtered oil return to the HST. Any chips left in there could kill the trans. IMHO, it’s not worth the risk. If you get a new cover at the dealer, you still get the same crappy cast aluminum filter stud.
Thanks for the reply. The dealer said removing/replacing the cover was a 10 hr job. May have to drill it in place. Ordered the part last night. Appreciate the insight from this site, so much valuable info.

Rio37

Equipment
BX23
May 31, 2022
PITTSBURGH
Ok, I was able to successfully drill and tap the new stud. But the filter doesnt fit the threads of the new stud. I am using a genuine transmission filter for the new stud. Any thoughts?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Ok, I was able to successfully drill and tap the new stud. But the filter doesnt fit the threads of the new stud. I am using a genuine transmission filter for the new stud. Any thoughts?
Maybe the dealer was correct when he told you the part was not correct for the transmission filter? You asked for thoughts! 🥴

As for suggestions...not sure. Wishing you good luck at resolving the issue...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have a machine shop make the correct part to fit the filter and the cover

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If you go to the Messicks web site and put that part number in it shows it fits 335 different model tractors. I clicked on a random assortment of them and it showed that it is used to fasten the engine oil filter on. The thread size must be different on engine oil filters and HST filters. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can point you to a transmission filter with the same size threads as the engine oil filter.

There is another part (#38240-37780) that is similar. It is used on 90 models. The tractors I checked used it as the fastener for the suction filter on the side of the transmission. I have no idea if this other part could help you.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
post #20 in this thread warned about that

I recently broke the filter stub as well and was curious if anyone has completed the fix using part 15241-32290? I took my BX to the local dealer and they want to replace the cover plate and all in looking at about $3K. They said the part was not for the transmission filter and would not attempt it. Curious if this has been successful on a BX. Thanks

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
post #20 in this thread warned about that
Post #21 added another significant warning as well. Hopefully all the chips from drilling/tapping were removed Successfully.

Myself, I probably would have been afraid to drill and tap in place.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Post #21 added another significant warning as well. Hopefully all the chips from drilling/tapping were removed Successfully.

Myself, I probably would have been afraid to drill and tap in place.
My apologies to Rio37… POST 20… is the one pointing out that the adaptor will not accept the transmission filter warning. (typo error in my prior post) ….. in which he wrote:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I spent about an hour looking for the post from a couple years back … done on the machine, detailed pics, part numbers, etc. I remember it wasn’t drilled perfectly square but it sealed and worked. Probably the same one tinkerwitheverything referred to in post #9 . You think I could find it??? :mad:
The adapter you need is out there, or easily made.

Last edited:

Rescue7

Equipment
Kubota BX2200
Nov 10, 2022
Traverse city, Mi.
Did you resolve the issue that the filter did not fit. I have to do the same repair. Did you use a different filter?
Thanks Don

Rio37

Equipment
BX23
May 31, 2022
PITTSBURGH
Did you resolve the issue that the filter did not fit. I have to do the same repair. Did you use a different filter?
Thanks Don
Hi Don. I did resolve the issue. I ended up drilling the transmission in place. I took the Kubota part to a machine shop with the filter and had them trim down the stub end to match the filter. I had them remove the hex on the outside and broach a hex on the inside. I did have to cut a 1/4 inch off or so so the filter would seat properly. loctite'd the part in place. It has worked well for about 30 hours or so with no problems.

Rio37

Equipment
BX23
May 31, 2022
PITTSBURGH
Transmission front plate removed. I did not remove the plate but the picture was good reference. This was probably the picture that helped me most to understand how to drill out the plate.
IMG_4949.jpg

Last edited:

Rescue7

Equipment
Kubota BX2200
Nov 10, 2022
Traverse city, Mi.
Hi Don. I did resolve the issue. I ended up drilling the transmission in place. I took the Kubota part to a machine shop with the filter and had them trim down the stub end to match the filter. I had them remove the hex on the outside and broach a hex on the inside. I did have to cut a 1/4 inch off or so so the filter would seat properly. loctite'd the part in place. It has worked well for about 30 hours or so with no problems.
Thank you for the information. That helps a lot. I am making the rounds to find someone trim down the the new part today.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Does the above mean you had them reduce the diameter and re-thread that end?

Sorry, just want to be clear on what "trim down" means...

Also, the hex is now inside the part for tightening it in place? Not able to see that in the picture...no doubt that is the case though. Did you have to install the part using a hex tool from the inside side? I suppose that might be the case...

Thanks for getting back with the update!

Rescue7

Equipment
Kubota BX2200
Nov 10, 2022
Traverse city, Mi.
Does the above mean you had them reduce the diameter and re-thread that end?

Sorry, just want to be clear on what "trim down" means...

Also, the hex is now inside the part for tightening it in place? Not able to see that in the picture...no doubt that is the case though. Did you have to install the part using a hex tool from the inside side? I suppose that might be the case...

Thanks for getting back with the update!
How did the hst filter fit with the hex filed off with the gap. Because it looks like with the hex not on the filter wont go all the way on.
Do you know if you could use the large engine oil filter on the hst as the thread fit and the oil filter is concave and the hex nut fits into the indentation.