Breather pipe/tube came loose

ernie51

Equipment
KX 121-3
Feb 20, 2022
Culdesac Idaho
Tube off back of air cleaner broke? Back end of air cleaner not sure how long it was off. Dusty conditions. motor still starts good and does not smoke not sure if i should tear down motor before digging season or go ahead and work it. Would appericate any advise or your thoughts. Left off what it on it is a KX121-3

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Makes no difference. If it was damaged…it’s damaged. If it starts and runs good…. That’s all you ever wanted from it… Right?

Fix the broken tube and get on down the road.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Tube off back of air cleaner broke? Back end of air cleaner not sure how long it was off. Dusty conditions. motor still starts good and does not smoke not sure if i should tear down motor before digging season or go ahead and work it. Would appericate any advise or your thoughts. Left off what it on it is a KX121-3
Fix/replace the air cleaner tube!

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
If it is not broke don't fix it... (the engine that is). I would change the oil and filter just to get any grit that might be captured in the oil out. Of course replace the broken air inlet pipe.
If you open up the engine your just going to spend money that it not needed to be spent. If the engine later starts to smoke or has a knock then yes I would open it up and repair it. But your unlikely to save money by opening up the motor now as the parts you would be replacing would be the same ones you would need if you waited till you had a problem with the motor that manifested itself later. Also given the price of Kubota parts it's probably cheaper to do a rebuilt exchange anyway...

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
As everyone else said, just fix the tube and as long as it is running good, there shouldn’t be a need to tear it down. Also as already said, clean everything really good to make sure you get any dust or dirt that may have worked it’s way in.

did you look down the tube to see how dirty it was? Since you don’t know how long it was broken, it may have only been broken for a very short time.