Breaking in B2601. What IS "full speed"?

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
My manual for my new B2601 gives this information about the break-in and post break-in:

Don’t operate at full speed [big emphasis]*
Don’t operate faster than necessary*
“Applies to all tractors but especially important for new tractor.”

What IS full speed in this tractor? The tractor's rated RPMS are 2,800. So I wonder if that means it pegs out at 3,000 or what? I've only had gear tractors before and never faced HST issues. I cannot remember such owner's manual warnings about avoiding full throttle. In fact, I think my Dad told me to operate our old Kubota wide open, or maybe at 3/4 throttle.

On my B2601 the magic 540 rpm for rear implements is 2,768, according to the manual. Of course that looks like the mark is 2,800 on the tach, so presumably the edge of that marker is close to the stated 540.

Conventional wisdom seems say to run about 540 to operate the tractor, even without using the pto, to work the engine and HST system properly [true?]. That right there would change my loader work, at least as far as hitting the pile, which I have been doing in low and below 2,000 rpm. Guess I could speed away faster!?

I'd never used a loader. Based on watching Youtube videos, I got the impression that the range to engage as 1,500 to 1,800 rpm. Seems slow, but as a loader newbie it's been great. Then I carry the material away at a breathtaking 2,000-2,400 rpm.

Is what I am doing unduly slow to experienced operators and especially am I not working the tractor hard enough? I do floor the treadle pedal but obviously am controlling working speed and engine speed with the throttle and the range selector.

In reviewing the manual, I think I was afraid to run it at the rated 2,800 rpms under the wrong impression that that would be "full speed." Hence my first question about what full speed is.

And while I may have been overly babying the tractor as a result, I was surprised to read (again) that Kubota says to warm up the tractor for five minutes (more if it's cold). I've failed to warm up for 5 minutes each time! I don't get to my work before that, but doubt I have ever sat there for more than a minute or two. Should I take the five minute warmup more literally and let the tractor sit?

And finally I wonder when/if I should open the tractor wide to help seat everything? Maybe after the 50-hour break-in? I've heard operators say to open her up as part of break-in. And I know others run diesel tractors wide open always, not sure about what they did at break in.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I personally would be gentle for approx the first 5 hours to let surfaces polish-up and then Let ‘er Rip as necessary to accomplish the job....if that means governed-speed to achieve 540 for a shredder or such...then so be it. Tractors are designed to do work not lolly-gag around the countryside.

Reactions: 3 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Just don't run it like you stole it for the first 50 hours, which to me means to avoid full-rpm with full load operation for extended periods.

For example, I wouldn't, with my front snow blower, take the brand new tractor and blow 2 feet of snow at full rpm and load for hours on end. What I did is instead of running it at rated 2500rpm for the blower, I went with 2000-2300 rpm and kept it in 1stgear and at a low load rate. But I DID intentionally bump up to 2500 rated rpm and pushed the blower hard for a bit so the engine and drive train had to do some real work for a few minutes, then back to taking it easier.

The whole point being to work the new parts in at different loads, speeds and rpms.

Anyway, by 50 hours and learning a lot about how the machine runs and some of its capabilities, I was pretty much over taking it "easy" on it.

Or another way to put it is to baby it a bit until the first engine oil and filters changes at the initial service.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Read the thread "Break In Period" down a bit in the Tractor Operating forum. Some good common sense logic there.

Reactions: 1 user

Buckshot1600

Equipment
L3901HST, RCR1260, RB1584, SPL1072, Wallenstein BX52S, Meteor SB72 snowblower
May 4, 2017
B.C. Canada
I think you are on the right track. My only 2 cents are first filter change. My HST filters were gross, as in lots of "gunk" caught on the filters magnet, at the 50 hr mark. If I ever finish the time machine, I probably would have halved the initial service and done every filter at 25hr. I eased my tractor around for 10 hours without anything running on pto at 75% of the rated RPM, but after that I ran at the rated with my mower.

Reactions: 2 users

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
With my 2601 (35 hrs now), for the first 10-12hrs or so I was basically gentle with it.......FEL work but nothing really strenuous.....loam and 3/4 buckets etc. along with plenty of box blade and back blade work. I do let it warm up a bit but I'm not obsessive about it.

Regarding the winter......I mounted my blower in November and was using it at full throttle at 15hrs as that is what I needed it for........ it all depends on what school you follow. I felt it was less appealing to me to lug the diesel engine as it tried to blow snow going uphill on my 500'+ driveway than to let her rip at full throttle to get pto rpm to where it should be and not strain the rig.

From hour 15-35 I do what I want. I check the fluids 2 out of 3 times I use it and let it warm up ~5mins in the non-winter months and a little longer in the winter before I started doing the driveway.

I'll tell you in 10 years whether I regret it or not lol

Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
River, has yours used any oil during break-in? At 19 hours, I just put in over half a quart of oil. Don't know maybe it was a bit low when delivered, the oil is so clean it is still hard to read it. No leaks though.

On lugging, I am running mine in Low range a lot because of my work and property BUT I have the throttle in the red area a lot. The engine does not lug. I'll run in in Medium as needed and in High on the road, but expect to do my first bush hogging soon and will probably stay in Low but at 2,800 rpms. My property is very steep and a bit rough, so I can't have fast ground speed. As I gain experience on this tractor and land, I may be able to use Medium range in some areas.

After reading the break-in thread, I've decided the issue is heavy load during break in more than it is rpms. The manual may say not to run it at full speed, but I don't think full throttle is much past the red operating area! When bush hogging I will try to take smaller bites during the first 50 hours.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
River, has yours used any oil during break-in? At 19 hours, I just put in over half a quart of oil. Don't know maybe it was a bit low when delivered, the oil is so clean it is still hard to read it. No leaks though.

On lugging, I am running mine in Low range a lot because of my work and property BUT I have the throttle in the red area a lot. The engine does not lug. I'll run in in Medium as needed and in High on the road, but expect to do my first bush hogging soon and will probably stay in Low but at 2,800 rpms. My property is very steep and a bit rough, so I can't have fast ground speed. As I gain experience on this tractor and land, I may be able to use Medium range in some areas.

After reading the break-in thread, I've decided the issue is heavy load during break in more than it is rpms. The manual may say not to run it at full speed, but I don't think full throttle is much past the red operating area! When bush hogging I will try to take smaller bites during the first 50 hours.
No oil consumption that I have noticed. That being said it is fairly dirty and I might do the 50hr service at 40hrs instead since I have all the materials already to do it.

Your might have come a touch low, wouldn't shock me.

My Hydro was low when it was delivered, they sent over a bottle free of charge. Also the front axle was low as well which is fairly common from what I recall........

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
With my 2601 (35 hrs now), for the first 10-12hrs or so I was basically gentle with it.......FEL work but nothing really strenuous.....loam and 3/4 buckets etc. along with plenty of box blade and back blade work. I do let it warm up a bit but I'm not obsessive about it.

Regarding the winter......I mounted my blower in November and was using it at full throttle at 15hrs as that is what I needed it for........ it all depends on what school you follow. I felt it was less appealing to me to lug the diesel engine as it tried to blow snow going uphill on my 500'+ driveway than to let her rip at full throttle to get pto rpm to where it should be and not strain the rig.

From hour 15-35 I do what I want. I check the fluids 2 out of 3 times I use it and let it warm up ~5mins in the non-winter months and a little longer in the winter before I started doing the driveway.

I'll tell you in 10 years whether I regret it or not lol
I had to add about 1/2 quart to mine right away. It was delivered middle of the hash safe marks.
I have -0- oil usage I'm at 117 hrs.