Brand New L3800 Leaking Fluid under chasis

Derk181

Equipment
Backhoe, loader, rear blade, box blade, forks
Sep 5, 2013
NY
Hi, I have a brand new L3800, picked it up yesterday, I parked it in my driveway as I have not had the time to use it yet, and noticed a fluid leak from under the engine. It appears to be anti-freeze, and maybe a drip of oil. I called the dealer and sent them a picture. They claim it to be excess fluid from when the dealer installed the block heater. They said when they remove the plug that some fluid can be lost and that when I drove it, it started to drip from where it was pooled. I say its a gasket leak, it appears to be under the cylinder block. I also put a pan underneath the machine last night and it collected a significant amount of fluid. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

- A sad new L3800 owner

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Hi, I have a brand new L3800, picked it up yesterday, I parked it in my driveway as I have not had the time to use it yet, and noticed a fluid leak from under the engine. It appears to be anti-freeze, and maybe a drip of oil. I called the dealer and sent them a picture. They claim it to be excess fluid from when the dealer installed the block heater. They said when they remove the plug that some fluid can be lost and that when I drove it, it started to drip from where it was pooled. I say its a gasket leak, it appears to be under the cylinder block. I also put a pan underneath the machine last night and it collected a significant amount of fluid. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

- A sad new L3800 owner
Derk:

Check your bubble (below the deck) after checking engine fluids without starting it. Check engine oil first of all. If OK, start it and let it idle warm, check your bubble with engine running. Use your hydraulics a bit and check again and look for any leaks.

Wipe off the existing leak and if it still leaks, take it back. Be bold. It's still under warranty but they won't pay for transportation to and fro. IF necessary, get the factory rep involved!

Good luck,

Burt

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My opinion is I didn't buy a new tractor to wok on, I have plenty of old ones for that. I had a leak under my L5740 a couple of months after I bought it, the next day my dealer sent a technician out to try to fix it on site. He couldn't do it, so the following day they picked it up, 80 mile round trip, fixed it and brought it back, no charge for work or transportation.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Wipe the leak area, drive it around some, wipe again. If it stops, you are good to go. If not, it needs to go back to the dealer ASAP!

It's a great tractor, so don't give up on it.

Derk181

Equipment
Backhoe, loader, rear blade, box blade, forks
Sep 5, 2013
NY
Gentleman,

Appreciate your responses. Called the dealer this morning and gave them an update, as of now the dealer is scheduled to come pick it up on Friday. Pretty bummed out however, have been waiting a long time to purchase it, and was looking forward to working on my land this weekend. Thanks for the tips.

Kevin