Brake Lights

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I've been curious as to if anyone has added brake lights to their existing tail lights? I just spent the last hour using the search, which yielded 4 fine and enlightening threads, but none about adding brakes. I have a L3400 and have been thinking that not only adding the brake lights, but because some kind of switch would be needed to activate the brake lights, also have it wired so that it could illuminate a light on the console. That would also be a reminder that your parking is on. Of course this would have to be done on a keyed circuit, as you wouldn't want your brake lights on after parking it.

Soooo....Has anyone attempted this, or have thought about it, or came up with too many con's and not enough pro's.

Ron

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It shouldn't be all that hard to hook up. It would just be a matter of figuring out which terminal is switched power on the key switch. And figuring out some sort of linkage to hook to the break pedal to activate a push button of lever actuated switch similar to your cluch safety switch. Run power from your key switch, to break pedel switch, then to the light. if you have a clutch safety switch on your tractor, that same set up could be adapted to your breaks including usingbthe same type of switch. All you would be doing with it is using it as a light switch to turn the power on when pressed :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just did a search for mechanical break light switches on google. Looks light theres a few that could be easily adaptable for a tractor.:rolleyes:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I know of all the fundamentals needed to do it, I was just curious if the existing tail light assembly could be adapted to accommodate the extra function. And if anyone has done this, maybe some photos of their installation, the source they used to get needed components, and any pitfalls or suggestions.

Ron

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I might add, this is all still in the "thought" process. Haven't gotten out there to start pulling thing apart to see what I would actually be dealing with. Just thought that I would throw this out there and see what happens.

Ron

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Easy enough to do with the existing lights if they have a flashers built in, so they are dual element lights.
You would just need to tap into the wiring after the flasher circuit.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I'm a big fan of using relays and of course fuses for lights. Get the relays that are waterproof, and spend the extra 2-3 bucks for the relay socket.

It may be overkill but once you find a switched 12 volts, I would use it to energize the coil on a relay. Then I would come directly off the battery with a fuse to the common on the relay. When the ignition is energized, the relay will close and the 12 volts will go to the NO contact. Then you have "switched" power to use for other uses. If you then want to have 12 volts to a brake circuit, take the NO contact on the relay, then go to your brake switch, then to your brake lights. Putting the relay in series with the brake switch then to the lights makes you need both items "on" to energize the brake lights.