Brake-In RPM's for First 50 Hours?

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Here's something to ponder. Manufacturing practices are pretty much similar throughout the industry. By that I mean little diesels are manufactured the same way as big ones.

Now when a contractor buys a new piece of equipment (any brand), your going to tell me that they will follow the 50 hr rule. Doubt it. They purchased that machine to make money from day one. The operator gets on it and away we go.

I'm not saying not to follow the 50 hr rule, it's just that it seems odd they want us to "baby" our machines for that period when the contractor (big or small) don't/won't. And that same contractor won't tolerate down time.

Like I said, just something to think about.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The run in procedure for a new or rebuilt JD engine is to run at elevated idle till up to operating temp. Ramp up to rated pto rpm and gradually increase load till at max hp. Run at max for an hour and then out the door. This is all done on a dyno of course but I think it is obvious that other than maybe an hour of 'babying' it is business as usual. No magic, just run it.
And the engines I am referring to are not pint size engines but everything up to 600hp.
Excessive idling and lugging are killers of new engines so after a warmup run it up to the rpm needed for the task.

Last edited:

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I got my new bx2370 this May and the dealer told me to run it full throttle from day one, its how she's designed to run. I chose to follow the manual over the dealer's advice but ive know many people who go by the "use it like you would normally" moto when it comes to breaking in new equipment. I tend to be cautious with everything from new weedeaters, to tractors, and even new cars. I think a little attention to detail may be what saves ya down the road. I also tend to over maintain my equipment and vehicles as well though...