Brake Expectations!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Here's a question for Service Dept Vic (whom I am sure I saw on a re-run of Dirty Jobs on NetFlix last week!)
What's a realistic expectation for the brakes on my M4500. They're just... well they just seem a little on the weak side. The adjustment seems to be pretty close by the Workshop Manual, & they don't chatter or make any noise when engaged. But I wouldn't want to try and stop a really heavy load on a hill, like a loaded silage wagon for example . Should I be able to lock the brakes up on this tractor pretty easy, or are they a little more of the (unintended) anti-lock variety. I mean, I can throw a 1400 pound round bale on the back and they'll stop me, but it's kind of a gradual thing if you know what I mean. The lock-em-up panic stop thing doesn't seem like it would be an option. Hate the thought of servicing them since they're internal. Mind you, I've operated tractors with worse, just don't know what I should really expect from a Kubota of this vintage. This tractor sat still for 5-6 years 'till this fall, maybe they'll get better with use. RC

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like it is about normal for that tractor then. Like I said, I've seen & used worse. RC