Boxblade: Got the "pitch" and the "roll", how about a little "yaw" ?

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
Has anyone seen or implemented any hacks to get a small amount of "yaw" in their boxblade setup? In other words, a setup in which one end of the boxblade is a few inches forward of the other end?

I'm doing some grading / pothole repairs on a loooong driveway, and I'd like to be able to push material sideways a bit. I know rear-blades can be adjusted for this purpose, but I don't have a rear blade.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Has anyone seen or implemented any hacks to get a small amount of "yaw" in their boxblade setup? In other words, a setup in which one end of the boxblade is a few inches forward of the other end?

I'm doing some grading / pothole repairs on a loooong driveway, and I'd like to be able to push material sideways a bit. I know rear-blades can be adjusted for this purpose, but I don't have a rear blade.
That is EXACTLY why the box blade is NOT a good finish grading/shaping tool!
Unlike a rear blade, it cannot be angled!

Take a look at the Everything Attachments "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade" if you want to see the tool that works best for what you are attempting to do.
EA also makes bolt on ends for that deluxe scrape blade, which would seem to meet your needs perfectly.
I have their blade, but unfortunately not the bolt on ends.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Buy half of a Pat's Hitch?

If it were me, I'd see if it would work to whip up an extendable link to use between the end of the lift arm and the box.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I ha
That is EXACTLY why the box blade is NOT a good finish grading/shaping tool!
Unlike a rear blade, it cannot be angled!

Take a look at the Everything Attachments "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade" if you want to see the tool that works best for what you are attempting to do.
EA also makes bolt on ends for that deluxe scrape blade, which would seem to meet your needs perfectly.
I have their blade, but unfortunately not the bolt on ends.
I have this blade and like it a lot. It’s very heavy duty, and weighs 850 pounds, so the blade stays put on the ground and doesn’t chatter and bounce. It’s a bit cheaper than the EA blade, but every bit as durable.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

If you want material to flow a bit sideways and you’re going forward so you have (or will have) material in the box: raise the end a bit (tilt it up) on the side you want the material to move to while leaving the other end (where the material is coming from) on the ground. If the material is loose enough to flow well (not lumpy, clumpy clods) it will pick up material on the end on the ground and it will escape the end that is tilted up, effectively moving the material sideways despite the lack of yaw. Don’t have to tilt much, just enough to let some material escape and get it flowing.

And yes, I have a back blade and a box blade. They are different implements with differing strengths and weaknesses, the uses of which overlap to some degree. A back blade is much better at true windrowing such as plowing snow. Either will work well for moving loose material sideways in more of a spreading operation such as pulling gravel that has migrated toward the edge of a road back into the wheel tracks.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I ha

I have this blade and like it a lot. It’s very heavy duty, and weighs 850 pounds, so the blade stays put on the ground and doesn’t chatter and bounce. It’s a bit cheaper than the EA blade, but every bit as durable.

That is a very nice looking hydraulically actuated blade.
A cut or two above the EA Cat 1 - "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade", manual blade, that I was referring to.
Yours is for a 50HP - 80HP tractor., which most here do not have

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That is a very nice looking hydraulically actuated blade.
A cut or two above the EA Cat 1 - "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade", that blade I was referring to.
For a 50HP - 80HP tractor.
Yeah it’s a brute and the price is competitive. I’m very pleased with it.

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
If you want material to flow a bit sideways and you’re going forward so you have (or will have) material in the box: raise the end a bit (tilt it up) on the side you want the material to move to while leaving the other end (where the material is coming from) on the ground. If the material is loose enough to flow well (not lumpy, clumpy clods) it will pick up material on the end on the ground and it will escape the end that is tilted up, effectively moving the material sideways despite the lack of yaw. Don’t have to tilt much, just enough to let some material escape and get it flowing.

And yes, I have a back blade and a box blade. They are different implements with differing strengths and weaknesses, the uses of which overlap to some degree. A back blade is much better at true windrowing such as plowing snow. Either will work well for moving loose material sideways in more of a spreading operation such as pulling gravel that has migrated toward the edge of a road back into the wheel tracks.
Yes! I've been doing that, and it's better than nothing. I do have a landscape rake and it's more versatile than I thought it would be, so I'm going to give that a try as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, you could replace one of the lower arms with a hydraulic cylinder,though a stout linear actuator would be better.