Box Scraper VS Grading Scraper - l2501 - Which to choose?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Potholes.

Living in NH we have no shortage of pot holes etc.

Anytime you see a pot hole it is caused by what is under it. recurring pot holes will still recur long after you are dead unless the issue under it is resolved.

Land plane, box blade, rear blade doesn't matter that pothole will be back right after a few trips.

Up here it is usually a rock or surface ledge that does it.

Rocks before/after are high spot/low spot. The car raises (bumps) over the high spot and then pounds down into the low spot. Until the rock is removed the pot hole will always be there. As soon as that starts, water collection starts and that makes it worse. (water is one of the best soil compactors).

Surface ledge will pool water in odd ways that will cause repeating pot holes as well.

I guess my point is, the worst way to FIX a pothole is to just fill it in.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I guess my point is, the worst way to FIX a pothole is to just fill it in.
Perhaps, but sometimes just filling it is the optimal solution. I have several potholes in my mile of road - many of them I just refill periodically, simply because the work and money required to "fix" them is significantly more than I would spend over the next 20 years just filling them now and then.

Personally, if that were my driveway, I would go with the land plane, unless I intended to do a significant amount of reworking of it.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Perhaps, but sometimes just filling it is the optimal solution. I have several potholes in my mile of road - many of them I just refill periodically, simply because the work and money required to "fix" them is significantly more than I would spend over the next 20 years just filling them now and then.

Personally, if that were my driveway, I would go with the land plane, unless I intended to do a significant amount of reworking of it.
I said to FIX the pothole, not patch it. The easiest way to patch it is to dump a bucket of material in it but that will not fix the pothole.

And I totally agree if you don't want to actually fix it, don't waste the time/money.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Specialty products are available for road grading
Those are really nice.

After blading/building I will often times use my roller to put an initial "set" back into the road. That is one of the main complaints I have with a plane for the job is the loose surface it leaves when done.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Tornado’s explanation is pretty good. Great job.

I went with a landplane/grading scraper because it is supposed to much easier for an inexperienced person to use since you don’t have to raise/lower the blade just to get rid of material. It seems like experienced people prefer the box blade. I have a 1/4 mile driveway, so I don’t see using a box blade to touch up when I could simply drive back and forth with a grading scraper.

As far as crown goes, the blades are angled, and can push gravel from the side to the middle.

I suggest watching some youtube videos on both. One video that sold me on the grading scraper was a cleanup job that a guy was doing for his friend. It was literally amazing how big of change he made with only the grading scraper. He got rid of grass etc as well a revitalizing. Almost all of the before/after type videos are pretty helpful.

A bonus is supposedly a landplane/grading scraper takes less power.

Jamdavis

Equipment
B2301
Jun 11, 2020
Oregon
I have a 600ft stone drive and chose the Land Pride Landplane for it's claim of very easy to use and love it. You can work a crown with adjustments using the 48" Landplane. I had a few pot holes and used the scarifying teeth on the Landplane to break up the stone around the pot holes. Applied 3/4 open quarry rock on top and then ran the Landplane back and forth and for the last year no reoccurring pot holes. I run the Landplane once a month to maintain the drive and it makes me look like I almost know what I am doing. I'm no expert and the Landplane is easy to use with very minimal adjustments. Still want a box blade in the future, Never can have enough attachments!

BD-KUB

Equipment
L2501 HST, G2000
Jan 18, 2021
Pelham, On
I attached a few pics, right now its frozen so its pretty solid. As soon as it thaws it becomes a mess, my reason for wanting to add some material. I just purchased the property, so I don't know whats under the top layer or this history. All i know is that its been neglected.
Update:

I ended up buying a Land pride BB1266 (66") and I'm pleased with the results, it went pretty well considering it was my first time using a box scraper. Here's a few after shots:

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Update:

I ended up buying a Land pride BB1266 (66") and I'm pleased with the results, it went pretty well considering it was my first time using a box scraper. Here's a few after shots:
Awesome.

You're the customer so as long as you are happy with the results. It looks good.

I found with the BB trial and error and making small adjustments helped me up the learning curve along with a few you tube vids

Good luck !!!!