Box blade snow removal

Shipwreck

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 Loader, Bradco Grapple Bucket, AE Brush hog, AE Box Blade, Rake
Dec 17, 2019
St Clair MI
I just purchased a new L3560 replacing my L3010 with a front snow blower. I held off purchasing the new snow blower but did get ready with the mid PTO. In the meantime should I use my box blade to remove snow on a 1300’ driveway or will my bucket alone work well. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
I would use the loader. I have found a box blade to be a pain in the neck for pushing snow and if pulling snow of any amount it's always full. A BB is great for scraping a hard surface, back dragging short distances. A pipe over the bucket edge, edge tamers, or slightly tipping the bucket works wonders.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I tried my box blade in the snow and was kinda surprised. It worked. Yes it fills quick but will keep pulling snow. But I only have a 300 feet of driveway and that was in a light snowfall.
But what it did do was make a nice base for snow blowing without the fear of picking up the gravel.
I left it tilted back so that the front facing blade was not cutting.

But otherwise if you don't have a snow blower the loader will work well. Sometimes when it is too windy to blow on my open station I just push with the loader until I get a good pile then just cast it off to the side, then go again.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I'm in the same boat with my L4060, I don't have a blower and tried the first few snowfalls using the box scraper and loader. I too was surprised how well the box scraper worked mind you it was only a light fluffy few inches on the ground. My priority was studded chains this year with a steep grade and long gravel driveway. I'll try this winter with bucket and BB and see whether I need a blower or not next year. Not a big deal since it's a vacant lot at this point.