Boom won't retract far enough to lock pin

Bruce Fehring

Equipment
zd18
Sep 28, 2009
Kilauea, Kauai, Hawaii
I was digging out some roots with my Kubota M59 (Backhoe BT1200) and when I finished I retracted the boom with the intention to lock it for transport, only to find that it would only retract enough to get the pins within 2" of the boom lock. It comes up and sounds and feels like it is seating in the fully retracted position, but there is still 1.5" of shiny piston rod showing.

The rod does not appear to be bent or damaged in any way.

The tractor is nearly new, still under warranty.

Any ideas before I call the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information you may be able to provide!

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Bruce,

I have a backhoe for my B9200. The only thing I can think of (since you were using the hoe, & I assume it is working correctly), is to make sure the fluid is topped off, & check for debris that may be preventing retractment.

Hawaii ! Holy cow, man. I'm jealous. It must be beautiful there.:)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I was digging out some roots with my Kubota M59 (Backhoe BT1200) and when I finished I retracted the boom with the intention to lock it for transport, only to find that it would only retract enough to get the pins within 2" of the boom lock. It comes up and sounds and feels like it is seating in the fully retracted position, but there is still 1.5" of shiny piston rod showing.

I've heard that it is a manufacturing defect regarding that piston. It is a known problem so the dealer/Kubota should replace it under warranty without an issue.

whaskins

Equipment
Kubota M59 TLB
May 31, 2011
Savoy, Ma.
I just purchased a new M59 TLB and had the same thing happen to me. I was digging some rocks out of the field and when I was finished and tried to lock the boom and it would not go all the way to the lock pins. The piston stops about 2" from the lock pins. How did you fix the problem on yours?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The pistons in those cylinders are threaded onto the rods, sounds like it is unthreading itself. If it comes right off it will damage the threads on the rod and piston. you shouldn't use it until it is repaired!
Ed

Teabor

Equipment
Kubota L39
Jul 30, 2014
Napa, Ca, USA
I just purchased a new M59 TLB and had the same thing happen to me. I was digging some rocks out of the field and when I was finished and tried to lock the boom and it would not go all the way to the lock pins. The piston stops about 2" from the lock pins. How did you fix the problem on yours?
Hi waskins. I am having the same problem, did you find a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Teabor

Equipment
Kubota L39
Jul 30, 2014
Napa, Ca, USA

Hi Bruce. I am having the same problem, did you find a solution to this problem? Thanks.