Boom sickle mower for Kubota

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I agree, Dan. The PT5 looks sturdier and better built than the Bestco version and probably could handle more as well. This is probably why it is more expensive. As my grandfather used to say, you get what you pay for. I will purchasing the PT5 come spring. Hopefully, I won't have to wait 6 months or longer to get it.
I like the PT5 better - primarily because it seems to have a lot more range of operation. But the price differential is too high for me. I don't have enough use to justify spending $10-12K. My version of your Grandfathers maxim:

"You only get what you pay for and sometimes not even that".

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I like the PT5 better - primarily because it seems to have a lot more range of operation. But the price differential is too high for me. I don't have enough use to justify spending $10-12K.
Bush Hog's website shows the PT5 to be $21,800. I couldn't justify $10k on such a piece of equipment, not even $5k to be honest. It'd have to be the Bestco for me.

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
Bush Hog's website shows the PT5 to be $21,800. I couldn't justify $10k on such a piece of equipment, not even $5k to be honest. It'd have to be the Bestco for me.
I've seen a couple advertised at various dealers online for around 12K. To me that's acceptable if it is going to last. My property is more like a golf course or park so being able to trim high branches and, of course this long stretch of hedge, would be something I would do frequently.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've seen a couple advertised at various dealers online for around 12K. To me that's acceptable if it is going to last. My property is more like a golf course or park so being able to trim high branches and, of course this long stretch of hedge, would be something I would do frequently.
Thats the price range I was seeing. Its hard to tell exactly whats included since the sickle mower is just an attachment to the base unit.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thats the price range I was seeing. Its hard to tell exactly whats included since the sickle mower is just an attachment to the base unit.

Dan
From what I can tell, the PT5 simply plugs into the tractor hydraulics so even $12k seems like a lot. The other boom mowers that Bush Hog sells have dedicated hydraulic units so I can see those being more expensive, but the PT5 doesn't appear to be significantly more complicated than Bestco's model.

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
I've had this on my watch list for a few years. Still haven't found any customer reviews, and only a couple YouTube videos of it in use.

Anyone hear have one that can give feedback?
Thanks! The issue I have with this one (and similar models) is that I need the reach of the boom in some situations. This approach requires the shrub or tree to be close to your bucket. I think it's a good idea but it doesn't fit my need. -Weekender

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S 3rdFunction TerraKingBagger 4ftBoxBlade 5ftPlowBlade 3ptQuickHitch
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
From what I can tell, the PT5 simply plugs into the tractor hydraulics so even $12k seems like a lot. The other boom mowers that Bush Hog sells have dedicated hydraulic units so I can see those being more expensive, but the PT5 doesn't appear to be significantly more complicated than Bestco's model.
I will give a complete review this spring.
My idea is to provide a range of comments like:
1. Quality of hydraulics in a low pressure environment (8-10 gpm)
2. Ease of use including speed / range of adjustment.
3. Realistic counterweight options - DO need one so let's see how it works out.
4. Everything I do to keep from injuring myself - safety, safety, safety first. Did I mention safety?
5. Quality of cutting operation.

What else would you add to the list?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I will give a complete review this spring.
My idea is to provide a range of comments like:
1. Quality of hydraulics in a low pressure environment (8-10 gpm)
2. Ease of use including speed / range of adjustment.
3. Realistic counterweight options - DO need one so let's see how it works out.
4. Everything I do to keep from injuring myself - safety, safety, safety first. Did I mention safety?
5. Quality of cutting operation.

What else would you add to the list?
Cost.
Smoothness of operation.

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Thanks! The issue I have with this one (and similar models) is that I need the reach of the boom in some situations. This approach requires the shrub or tree to be close to your bucket. I think it's a good idea but it doesn't fit my need. -Weekender
I'll be using mine mostly DOWN banks but I do have 50' of up bank that I will down mow from above also - it's about 20' tall. Lots of mature trees and brush to work around.
😎

chriscozi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 26, 2020
Rutland VT
www.sugarwoodschool.org
Cost.
Smoothness of operation.
Cost was $3500. Add the flat connectors and adaptors for ~100 to hook to my back hoe connections. Next is the counter weight. I have two options - repurpose my very well used suitcase weights or pour 15g concrete bucket around a 2" hitch receiver.
I will add a 2" hitch "extender" that will connect to the 1.75" square 6' long steel bar that will slide into the existing base frame so either of the weight options will connect and disconnect quickly but securely.
I'll be sure to provide pics and a list of materials.

The only reason I'm considering the concrete is because I wanted to use the suitcase on the front to keep the balance. I know what happens with a heavy rear - my bagger hits 600+ lbs. full and with the front weights it can still float going up a steep bank and that's with the belly mower too. The boom mower is ~600 lbs. and I'm planning on adding another ~300 lb counter weight. We'll see how it shakes out but I suspect I'll be pretty heavy. I can always put the loader on but that really lengthens the total machine and has a higher center of gravity than the weights. I'll also really consider keeping the belly mower on as it puts a couple hundred pounds very low.