Bobcat box blade? Or Titan or Southern?

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
I didn't know Bobcat made implements for 3pt hitch, but I see one in my local area. $900 for a new one, which is lower than other brands I've seen, I just don't know if Bobcat is a quality brand. Can anyone vouch for it?

I've also seen Titan and Southern as brands and haven't found much as far as reviews for quality.

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I've read a lot of good reviews on the EA box blade, it is a few hundred more though.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
I've read a lot of good reviews on the EA box blade, it is a few hundred more though.
Ya, I've got them on my short list of GOOD box blades, but being able to actually acquire one (price or not) is the other problem nowadays. The local Bobcat place has several of these box blades, but before I go and get one I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with it. I know they do skidsteers, but didn't know about compact tractor attachments.

So far as I can see, it's got a reversible/replaceable blade, I *THINK* it has 5 scarifiers instead of 4, and a clevis instead of pin attachment. All things I'm looking for. At 395 pounds, it's heavier even than the Land Pride, so that's noteworthy.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Ya, I've got them on my short list of GOOD box blades, but being able to actually acquire one (price or not) is the other problem nowadays. The local Bobcat place has several of these box blades, but before I go and get one I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with it. I know they do skidsteers, but didn't know about compact tractor attachments.

So far as I can see, it's got a reversible/replaceable blade, I *THINK* it has 5 scarifiers instead of 4, and a clevis instead of pin attachment. All things I'm looking for. At 395 pounds, it's heavier even than the Land Pride, so that's noteworthy.
That doesn't sound bad. Assuming 5' for your 2650? Bobcat probably doesn't make them, they are farmed out to lowest bidder and they slap a sticker on it, same as frontier.

Also, there are 2 Titans. Titan implement is good, Titan attachments/palletforks.com is China.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Something made out of 400# of steel will probably outlive you.......
they ain't real complicated so easy to fix or repair if ever needed (no computer !!)
anything IN STOCK is worth buying compared to waiting for MONTHS to get 'the best'.
it's possible you could buy today, use it NOW, then when 'the best' is available and resell yours

Reactions: 1 users

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Something made out of 400# of steel will probably outlive you.......
they ain't real complicated so easy to fix or repair if ever needed (no computer !!)
anything IN STOCK is worth buying compared to waiting for MONTHS to get 'the best'.
it's possible you could buy today, use it NOW, then when 'the best' is available and resell yours
Heh, all very good points. I've been lurking around marketplace for a while looking for one, but it's been suddenly pushed to the forefront. I'm helping work on my aunt's driveway next weekend, and I can't think of a better tool for it. So ya, better to get the one I can get.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Ok, everything is lining up to get this Bobcat boxblade. It DOES have 5 scarifiers, which is something I wanted. The tips of the shanks are *not* replaceable, something else I was interested in. But I did some research on what it took to replace those tips, and it all seemed to involve tools I didn't and wouldn't have anyway. The entire replacement shank is $40 (some of the threads I found from 2006 talked about how the shanks were only $16 to replace...cry) and I'm just gonna HOPE that I don't break one that often. I might get a spare to have onhand so I can keep working while ordering a new one.

It's $900 + tax, and it's AVAILABLE. Tentatively planning to get it Wednesday.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Ok, everything is lining up to get this Bobcat boxblade. It DOES have 5 scarifiers, which is something I wanted. The tips of the shanks are *not* replaceable, something else I was interested in. But I did some research on what it took to replace those tips, and it all seemed to involve tools I didn't and wouldn't have anyway. The entire replacement shank is $40 (some of the threads I found from 2006 talked about how the shanks were only $16 to replace...cry) and I'm just gonna HOPE that I don't break one that often. I might get a spare to have onhand so I can keep working while ordering a new one.

Post some pictures. Would like to see the build quality. As well as material thickness.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
+1. Post a pic so we can see the gusseting and the three point connections.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
No gusseting (wanted that but decided it was not critical...could find few box blades that offered that). But wow, I have NO concerns about this box holding together. Granted, it's my first one ever...maybe they're all like this. But it's just so SOLID. I'm *very* pleased with it, though it's still just sitting on a palette (too busy to hook it up until probably Thursday).
PXL_20220503_132518554.jpg PXL_20220503_132527312.jpg PXL_20220503_132533084.jpg PXL_20220503_132549754.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I'm not sure what you can do bad on a box blade, maybe make it lighter? It's not like a rotating equipment type 3ph thing. The thing mainly works on weight. Could short change in scarifier area maybe?

I'd look at the posted weight and decide. My Woods 5 footer is 518 #.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
I'm not sure what you can do bad on a box blade, maybe make it lighter? It's not like a rotating equipment type 3ph thing. The thing mainly works on weight. Could short change in scarifier area maybe?

I'd look at the posted weight and decide. My Woods 5 footer is 518 #.
I felt like the Land Pride BB was considered as one of the quality ones, so I just tried to compare to that. The Bobcat box has an extra shank and about 50 lbs more weight, so I consider that a good comparison, given that it's also several hundred cheaper and actually available.

Humorously, I had rushed to get a box blade because of working on my aunt's driveway this weekend, but I think that's going to be postponed now because of rain. ha! Oh well, I'm still pleased so far. I'm certain, rain or not, I'm going to get some practice at hooking it up.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
It looks pretty stout and nice that the scarifiers are pinned instead of using clips.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
No gusseting (wanted that but decided it was not critical...could find few box blades that offered that). But wow, I have NO concerns about this box holding together. Granted, it's my first one ever...maybe they're all like this. But it's just so SOLID. I'm *very* pleased with it, though it's still just sitting on a palette (too busy to hook it up until probably Thursday).
View attachment 79372 View attachment 79373 View attachment 79374 View attachment 79375
You probably couldn't buy the material that's in that box blade for $900 at the moment. The shanks or scarifiers look fairly standard. Land Pride uses that type on a lot of their box blades and land planes. You could probably brake the scarifiers though. A "friend" broke all four on my 48" Land Pride box blade a couple of years ago and that was behind a BX25D.

• Wow

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Blaine's Farm & Fleet, with stores throughout much of the Midwest, sells King Kutter box blades.
King Kutter box blades are good quality, and are shown as being in stock at Blaine's.
I have a 60" KK box blade.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That doesn't sound bad. Assuming 5' for your 2650? Bobcat probably doesn't make them, they are farmed out to lowest bidder and they slap a sticker on it, same as frontier.

Also, there are 2 Titans. Titan implement is good, Titan attachments/palletforks.com is China.
Bobcat is owned by Dooson in South Korea. Daedong in South Korea builds Bobcats for Dooson and they are also known for making good products such as Kioti tractors here in the US. South Korean manufacturers have a good reputation for quality and I would expect them to subcontract implements to good or at least decent manufacturers.

Reactions: 1 users

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
You probably couldn't buy the material that's in that box blade for $900 at the moment. The shanks or scarifiers look fairly standard. Land Pride uses that type on a lot of their box blades and land planes. You could probably brake the scarifiers though. A "friend" broke all four on my 48" Land Pride box blade a couple of years ago and that was behind a BX25D.
So...how do you even do that?? Is that dropping it down while at full speed or something?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So...how do you even do that?? Is that dropping it down while at full speed or something?
It's very rocky up here in NW Montana and he was being too aggressive with the tractor and box blade trying to get an area leveled for his tiny home school bus. I ended up buying four new scarifiers but never got to use them since I sold the BX and just about every implement I had for it. They were too small to run behind the MX6000.

The box blade was a Land Pride BB1248 that cost me $597 in 2016.