Bleeding top and tilt on L2501 with L8372 Top and Tilt

shaymus

Sep 17, 2021
Oakland, CA
Is there a way to bleed the top and tilt cylinders? I have a L2501 with the L8372 Top and Tilt and 3 spool control valve. Both the top and tilt cylinders are very springy and mushy and they both leak down quite a bit.

No luck finding any info on Kubota's site or otherwise.

Any info would be appreciated.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Fully extend and retract the rods 10-20 times. This will get the air out of the cylinders. As far as drifting, good luck, Kubota as well as some other brands of control valves seem to have drifting issues at least 50% of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
It will self purge... Do you have a "double acting pilot valve" on the top and side links?

Double acting pilot valve, will stop drifting since it will only allow fluid to move after a certain pressure mark. Hydraulic fluid will move after 900* psi is applied. ( * = Wild guessing at the actual pressure needed to move.)

shaymus

Sep 17, 2021
Oakland, CA
A bunch of cycling the cylinders has helped with the air and sponginess. My prior hydraulic experience is limited to brakes and clutches. Will keep at it. I'm still getting a lot of leak down.

shaymus

Sep 17, 2021
Oakland, CA
It will self purge... Do you have a "double acting pilot valve" on the top and side links?

Double acting pilot valve, will stop drifting since it will only allow fluid to move after a certain pressure mark. Hydraulic fluid will move after 900* psi is applied. ( * = Wild guessing at the actual pressure needed to move.)
I will look into this. I don't have any documentation on the top and tilt, and there is nothing on Kubota's website. I may call them, but not sure how useful that will be. I also put in a call to the local dealer and am waiting to hear back.

Are these pilot valves something I can swap in? Any chance you have a link to something that worked for you? I'll keep searching and appreciate the info.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A bunch of cycling the cylinders has helped with the air and sponginess. My prior hydraulic experience is limited to brakes and clutches. Will keep at it. I'm still getting a lot of leak down.
Your leak down is not from air. Hydraulic oil is flowing out of the cylinder by one or more paths.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I will look into this. I don't have any documentation on the top and tilt, and there is nothing on Kubota's website. I may call them, but not sure how useful that will be. I also put in a call to the local dealer and am waiting to hear back.

Are these pilot valves something I can swap in? Any chance you have a link to something that worked for you? I'll keep searching and appreciate the info.
A DPOCV goes in the two lines between the valve and cylinder. They have four ports - two in and two out - and are commonly mounted directly on the ports on the cylinder but that can be hard to DIY. You can put them anywhere in the run and they will work equally well.

Dan

https://summit-hydraulics.com/produ...ted-hydraulic-check-valve-6-sae-ports-11-gpm/

1691517485762.png

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

shaymus

Sep 17, 2021
Oakland, CA
Whaaaah, my top and tilt cylinders are sagging... says the noob (that would be me).

Turns out to be more complicated and nuanced than initially thought. It usually is.

Cycling the top and tilt pistons like a mad person has helped a lot. The sponginess is gone. But... I still get the leak down and I'll admit it that it drives me nuts. I feel like things should stay where I put them for at least enough time to actually do some work.

The way things are now, in about 8 or 10 minutes, the top and/or tilt cylinders still leak down so much to the point that stuff gets messed up and I don't realize it for a while because I'm trying not to run over things, not hit things, adjust for hills and valleys, etc. I mean, that's why I bought it (or bought into the marketing)! If it's not reasonable for it to be useful, then I want to know, and I'd rather deal with turning turnbuckles if that is more productive and practical.

That said, I will keep at it and hopefully figure out the next things to try to make it work. I'm hopeful that it will be worth it in the long run.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Whaaaah, my top and tilt cylinders are sagging... says the noob (that would be me).

Turns out to be more complicated and nuanced than initially thought. It usually is.

Cycling the top and tilt pistons like a mad person has helped a lot. The sponginess is gone. But... I still get the leak down and I'll admit it that it drives me nuts. I feel like things should stay where I put them for at least enough time to actually do some work.

The way things are now, in about 8 or 10 minutes, the top and/or tilt cylinders still leak down so much to the point that stuff gets messed up and I don't realize it for a while because I'm trying not to run over things, not hit things, adjust for hills and valleys, etc. I mean, that's why I bought it (or bought into the marketing)! If it's not reasonable for it to be useful, then I want to know, and I'd rather deal with turning turnbuckles if that is more productive and practical.

That said, I will keep at it and hopefully figure out the next things to try to make it work. I'm hopeful that it will be worth it in the long run.
Well, unfortunately, it sounds as though the control valves are faulty. What is even worse than that, Kubota will do nothing about it. "Just how it is" is Kubota's std answer.

There are solutions, and not really even that costly. Having these adjustments at your fingertips is absolutely worth every penny that you have-will have invested in these if you plan on doing any grading at all IMO.

If you want to fix this, decide which solution provided is going to work best for your applications.
My guess, get the check valves if you are new to all of this.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Put one of these in each circuit. That's $150 delivered plus the cost of four short hoses and a few fittings. You will lose float but stop the leakdown.

Dan